What to know
The Massachusetts Vehicle Check program is the vehicle emissions testing and safety inspection program for the Commonwealth.
- All vehicles driven on Massachusetts roads must pass an annual safety inspection.
- Vehicles with onboard diagnostic systems manufactured after model year 2002 must pass an annual emissions test.
- Inspections are offered at more than 1,800 licensed inspection stations in Massachusetts.
- Fleets of commercial motor vehicles can be tested by mobile inspectors who bring testing equipment to company lots, or by a company employee who is licensed to conduct inspections.
- The Massachusetts Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspection is equivalent to the annual Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) inspection. This allows commercial motor vehicle owners to meet state and federal requirements with one inspection.
- The Massachusetts Vehicle Check annual inspection fee is $35 for most vehicles. Inspection stations providing a commercial inspection are permitted to charge more, consistent with nationwide industry practice.