The following are strictly prohibited on DCR Division of Water Supply Protection property in the Wachusett and Sudbury Reservoir watersheds:
- Any bodily contact with the water
- Disposing of human waste, trash, or litter
- Alcoholic beverages
- Motorized vehicles
- Swimming or bathing
- Boating (except as designated at West Waushacum, Middle Waushacum, and Muddy Ponds in Sterling)
- Smoking or building fires
- Metal Detectors
- Transport or disposal of invasive or other plant/fish/wildlife species
Violations of DCR/DWSP regulations are punishable by fines up to $50,000 or by imprisonment for not more than one year.
Rule violations may result in loss of fishing privileges (313 CMR 11.09(2)(d)4 or 313 CMR 11.09(2)(e)3.)
Additional Resources for
Notify officials if anything seems out of the ordinary.
- Report violations of DCR Regulations, suspicious activities or abnormal environmental conditions to DCR Rangers or the MA State Police.
- National security conditions may require the temporary closure of the reservoir to all public access.
- Notices will be posted at all access points if closure is necessary.
- Emergency Contact Numbers
Wachusett DCR Watershed Rangers: (978) 365-3800
MA State Police - Holden: (508) 829-8410
DCR and its employees are not responsible for any damages or loss of life which may be incurred in connection with the public use of the reservoirs.