MCB Statutory Advisory Board (SAB) Meeting - Virtual
Overview of MCB Statutory Advisory Board (SAB) Meeting - Virtual
Massachusetts Commission for the Blind
Statutory Advisory Board (SAB) Meeting
Friday, September 10, 2021
12:00 to 2:00 pm ET
This meeting is being recorded.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 862 1174 5538
If you would like to request an ADA accommodation, please contact MCB ADA Coordinator Kamilia Drogosz at 617-279-3332 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Every effort will be made to provide a reasonable accommodation.
Visit our website to learn more about the SAB: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/mcb-statutory-advisory-board
- This meeting is being held via Zoom due to pandemic precautions under the Governor’s executive order granting such virtual meetings.
- A moment of silence in honor of the memory of our chair, Chris Kauders.
- Confirmation that MCB record SAB meetings, allow for local recordings and make recordings available to the public and that procedure be agreed upon whereby consumers may obtain a recording of the meeting.
- Election of the Chair of the SAB
- Vote to accept the July 30th, 2021, Minutes
- Welcome to any members of the public attending the meeting:
- Questions will be welcome at the end of the meeting.
- Update from CFO on MCB financial results FY22 through August.
- MCB review of FY22 thorough August “Dashboards” for tracking MCB performance.
- Commissioner Update:
- Detail of final FY21 expenditures by account and the amount and disposition of any unspent funds, including those reverted back to the state
- Status of $850,000 included in the FY22 Final Budget in account 4110-1000 to maximize the independent living skills of legally blind residents of the commonwealth through rehabilitation and the provision of accessible devices, assistive software and equipment and supportive technology training and services by qualified private providers in community, residential, virtual and facility-based settings, including:
- Degree of consumer input in structuring programs.
- Amounts spent/encumbered/committed through August 30, 2021.
- Description of services being offered.
- Identity of vendors currently providing services
- Update by Commissioner with particular focus on adequacy of resources to meet expected increased demand for MCB services.
- Amount of rent savings on an annualized basis from the closing of the New Bedford and Worcester Offices.
- Are there other offices targeted for elimination or downsizing?
- Communication Challenges & Solutions:
- Progress in addressing issues surrounding difficulty in consumers registering with the commission and reaching counselors by phone
- Update on safety protocols for MCB employees going to consumers’ homes, specifically masking and vaccination requirements
- Update from July meeting on:
- Comprehensive State Needs Assessment
- Feasibility Study to Evaluate Establishment of a For-Profit Business Employing the Blind.
- Description of measurable outcomes from the “We are Vision” campaign.
- Brief update from June meeting on strategic plan to track performance of employees and delivery of services.
- Should future SAB meetings be virtual, hybrid or solely in-person, meeting in the Commission’s conference room.
- Other business:
- Update on funding for MABVI AT Training
- Questions from the public