Vapor recovery systems prevent gasoline fumes from escaping into the air during fuel deliveries to service stations and fueling of vehicles.
Guide MassDEP Stage I & II Vapor Recovery Program
Table of Contents
News & Updates
MassDEP has amended its guidance relative to certain Stage I Vapor Recovery and Underground Storage Tank testing, inspection, reporting, and certification deadlines.
- Facilities that had compliance deadlines between March 10, 2020, and September 30, 2020, now have until December 1, 2020, to comply;
- Those with deadlines after September 30, 2020, are required to meet their compliance obligations according to their regular schedules going forward; and
- Facilities claiming they are unable to meet the deadlines that apply to them due to complications associated with the COVID-19 pandemic need to notify MassDEP at least 14 days before the applicable due dates.
All other requirements remain in effect, and the facilities subject to them must to continue to comply, as well as operate in a manner that is protective of public health and the environment.
See the Guidance in Additional Resources below to learn more.
- Most Massachusetts Stage I facilities have until January 2, 2022, to install enhanced vapor recovery (EVR) equipment approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
- MassDEP issued Frequently Asked Questions about the EVR installation deadline in October 2018.
- Facilities were required to test spill buckets and sumps and to decommission Stage II systems by January 2, 2017.
See the FAQ, MassDEP enforcement discretion directive, and letters to facility operators in Additional Resources below.
Additional Resources for News & Updates
MassDEP Regulations & Policies
MassDEP most recently amended 310 CMR 7.24: Stage I & II Vapor Recovery in January 2015. See Additional Resources below for:
- The final amendments (showing changes from the public comment draft), and
- A fact sheet summarizing the amendments, including what changed, what remained the same, and how to comply.
Note: Only Stage I & II (Phase I & II) vapor recovery systems approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) are allowable in Massachusetts.
Additional Resources for MassDEP Regulations & Policies
Stage I System Installation, Certification & Closure
See Key Actions below for all Stage I forms, including those for system installation and modification; annual in-use certification; change in owner, lessee, operator or controller; system closure; and testing company documentation.
To learn more about annual in-use certifications, see Additional Resources below for a Fact Sheet and a listing of individual facilities' due dates.
Additional Resources for Stage I System Installation, Certification & Closure
Stage I Guidance & Checklists
See Additional Resources below for guidance to follow and a checklist to use when performing weekly compliance inspections of Stage I vapor recovery systems.
A list of Stage I testing companies operating in Massachusetts is available here.
Additional Resources for Stage I Guidance & Checklists
Stage I Testing Companies
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection does not certify Stage I testing companies. Inclusion on this list does not imply endorsement of any company by MassDEP or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Last updated in April 2019.
|Advanced Tank Testing
P.O. Box 385
South Deerfield, MA 01373
|Dependable Petroleum Service
1 Roberts Road
Plymouth, MA 02362
15 Highwood Road
Manchester, MA 01944
|Biermann Services Inc.
77 Fuller Road
Chicopee, MA 01020
48 Plainfield Pike
Foster, RI 02825
|Petroleum Equipment Service (Wildco)
1376 West Central Street #110
Franklin, MA 02038
25 West State Street
Granby, MA 01033
|FRC Compliance Services LLC
41 Pierce Road
Rockland, MA 02370
|Roy Petroleum LLC
P.O. Box 738
Goffstown, NH 03045
84 New Salem Street
Wakefield, MA 01880
155 Memorial Drive
Building 4, Unit D
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
520 Fellowship Road #A-110
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
|Compliance Solutions Inc.
P.O. Box 431
Rochdale, MA 01542
|Hazard’s Testing LLC
323 James Trail
Richmond, RI 02892
|Valley Tank Testing
451 Apollo Beach Boulevard
Apollo Beach, FL 33572
|Compliance Testing Services
P.O. Box 715
N. Dighton, MA 02764
|Lemelin Environmental Services, Inc.
70 North Chicopee Street
Chicopee, MA 01020
|WMS Compliance Testing
P.O. Box 443
Halifax, MA 02338-0443
1815 Gallagher Road
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
872 Smithfield Avenue #202
Lincoln, RI 02865
Stage II System Decommissioning
MassDEP promulgated regulations in 2015 that required the decommissioning of all Stage II systems and specific enhancements to all Stage I systems by January 2, 2017.
See Key Actions below for related forms and Additional Resources below for an FAQ about the Stage II decommissioning requirement.