Instructions for health care, home health, and homemaker organizations to create an account on the online inquiry system to check the standing of a nurse aide or employee.
- This page, Register to access the Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System, is offered by
- Department of Public Health
- Division of Health Care Facility Licensure and Certification
- Bureau of Health Care Safety and Quality
Register to access the Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System
Table of Contents
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s (DPH) Nurse Aide Registry Services (NARS) uses an online Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System (NARIS) for verification of certified nurse aides (CNAs) and healthcare employees who have direct contact with patients or residents. Employers required to check the registry include nursing homes, rest homes, home health, homemaker, hospice, and other agencies.
Follow the instructions under “How to Register” below to register for an account. If you need additional assistance, please see the 4 available tutorials on how to register for and use NARIS.
How to register
- Step 1: Navigate a web browser to: nars.dph.mass.gov
- Step 2: Click on "Register as a new user” then complete the registration form
- Step 3: Select “Yes” to indicate you currently use the Nurse Aide Inquiry Response Phone System and enter the Access Code used to access the phone system.
- Step 4: Once you fill in your user information, click on the “Register” button. Accounts are unique to each registered individual. DO NOT share your login credentials with anyone else.
- Step 5: You will be prompted to update select information about your organization. Complete the form as directed and click on “Update Organization Information.” After you update your organization information, your request to create an account will be pending approval by DPH.
- Step 6: Complete and submit the NARIS Access Administrator Contact Form. Please note that failure to return form will result in delay and/or denial of NARIS access.
Key Actions for How to register
Tutorials to register for and use NARIS
Need additional help creating an account to access NARIS? Watch these tutorials for step-by-step instructions: Tutorials to register for and use Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System
Key Actions for Tutorials to register for and use NARIS
Using the Online System
Follow these steps to use the online system:
- Navigate a web browser to: nars.dph.mass.gov
- Use your Email and Password to login to the Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System.
- Click on LOOKUP EMPLOYEE STATUS.
- Enter the Social Security Number (SSN) of the person for whom you are searching. Select the “Search” button.
- Select the “Print Results” button to print a copy of your search results. Repeat Step 4 to search for another individual.
You may also reference the NARIS External User Manual.