Apply for a dental assistant license
Contact for Apply for a dental assistant license
Board of Registration in Dentistry
The Details of Apply for a dental assistant license
What you need for Apply for a dental assistant license
Prior to applying
You must read, understand, and agree to comply with The Policy on Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct, published by the American Dental Assistants Association.
We must have these attachments to process your application.
Documentation of certifications
Either one of the following documents:
- Current certification in American Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillation for the Professional Rescuer (CPR/AED), or
- Current certification in the American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS)
Certified letters of standing
- If you have ever been licensed to practice dental assisting, dental hygiene, or dentistry in another jurisdiction, then you need to provide:
- Official verification of professional licensure from each state or jurisdiction in which you now hold, or ever have held, a license
- The official letter must include the current status of your license, license number, the official seal and signature of the jurisdiction’s licensing board, and any disciplinary action taken
- A photocopy of a license is not acceptable
- A copy of a screen shot from the jurisdiction’s licensing board website is also not acceptable
Statement of disciplinary, civil and/or criminal action
- If applicable, you must provide a statement disclosing any disciplinary, civil and/or criminal action taken against you any time before the date of application. Don't provide information regarding any court-sealed criminal matter.
- The Board may require you to provide supporting documentation. This may include certified copies of court document(s) about any out-of-state criminal action.
A photo of yourself
- You will need to attach, where indicated, a color photograph, passport-size (2"x2") or larger.
Good moral character
- Proof to the Board of your good moral character
- You will answer questions on the application related to your moral character
- If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, you may have to provide more documentation explaining why you answered “yes”
- You must sign the affidavit on the application and have it witnessed by a Notary Public
Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgment Form
- This form is attached in the application
- This must be signed in person, and witnessed by either a BHPL employee at the Board's offices or a Notary Public
- The BPHL employee or notary public must verify your identity through acceptable identification
Requirements for different categories of dental assistant licensure
- Proof of the successful completion of a course on the CDC Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Healthcare Setting
- Proof of one of the following:
- The successful completion of a Board-approved course on radiological techniques and safeguards, or
- A passing score on the DANB Radiation Health and Safety Examination, or
- The successful completion of the Massachusetts Dental Society Dental Radiology program
Formally-Trained, Certified and/or Expanded Function:
- Documentation showing completion of a Board-recognized dental assisting program
- See the Board’s regulations at 234 CMR 4.00 for details on what’s required
Fees for Apply for a dental assistant license
- We accept personal checks, business checks, or money orders. Make it payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable
- Please don't staple payment to the application
- Please don't send cash
|Initial Dental Assistant Licensure Fee||$$60.00||each|
How to apply Apply for a dental assistant license
- Make sure you read the above requirements
- Download the Initial Dental Assistant Licensure Application, found below
- Fill out the application
- Include all required and necessary attachments
- Mail the completed application(s) and all attachments to:
The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry
239 Causeway St.
Boston, MA 02114
You can apply online through our online portal.