More about:

Apply for a Physician Assistant license

Once you are certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), you may apply for an initial Massachusetts PA license.
Once an application is received by the Board, it takes a minimum of 3- 5 weeks to review the completed application and determine if any additional information is required. Once complete, applications are processed in the order received.

Board of Registration of Physician Assistants

The Details

What you need

Please refer to the Full Licensure Application (DOC) for detailed instructions.

Complete applications must include the following documents:
  • Completed application form, signed, dated, and notarized
  • 2x2 passport style color photo
    • White or off-white background
    • Copies and printer generated photos are not acceptable
  • Signed and notarized Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgement Form (DOC)
  • Application fee
  • Official transcripts in signed, sealed envelopes from physician assistant programs/degrees with proof of a bachelor’s degree or higher
    • When requesting official transcripts, please inform each school’s registrar that the transcript must be complete and indicate the degree and date conferred in mm/dd/yyyy format
    • If transcripts have been previously submitted with an application for a Temporary Practice Certificate, they do not need to be resubmitted, if they were submitted within the past 12 months
  • NCCPA documentation of certification is required. This must be sent directly from NCCPA. Email verifications are not acceptable.
    • A form to request NCCPA verification is included in the application packet
If you are registered with the Federation of State Medical Boards’ Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS)

An official Physician Assistant Information Profile from the FCVS may be submitted in lieu of transcripts and NCCPA documentation. If you are registered with FCVS and are using this service for your application, please inform the Board. For more information about the FCVS Profile, visit the FCVS web site.

If you are licensed in any a state or jurisdiction outside of Massachusetts

Submit verification of your licensure status, in signed, sealed envelopes, from any state or jurisdiction in which you now or have ever held any professional license or board certification. Verifications must be sent directly to the Board by the state or other jurisdictions. Note: If verifications have been previously submitted with an application for a temporary practice certificate, they do not need to be resubmitted if they were issued within the past 12 months.

If you hold, or have ever held, any professional license or certification

You must request a National Practitioner Data Bank-Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank Self-Query and submit the Original report in a signed and sealed envelope with this application. To request a Self Query, please contact the National Practitioner Data Bank online or at (800) 767-6732.  Keep a copy for your records.


Check or money order payable to:
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Cash or foreign currency is not accepted.

Note: If you hold a Temporary Practice Certificate, you must pay this fee in addition to the fee previously paid for your Temporary Practice Certificate.

Name Fee Unit
Application fee $225 per applicant

How to apply

Mail all required materials and fee payment to:

Bureau of Health Professions Licensure
Board of Registration of Physician Assistants
239 Causeway St.
Suite 500
Boston, MA 02114

For further information, please contact the Board office at (800) 414-0168 or (617) 973-0806.

More info

  • Application must be submitted on single-sided paper
  • All requested information must be provided; failure to provide requested information may result in a delay in processing of application. We will return any incomplete applications.
    • Do not leave blanks. If you are unable to provide the requested information, attach a separate sheet with an explanation.
  • Keep a copy of your completed application for your records. The Board is not able to provide copies of your application. Employers may require that you provide them with a copy.



Tell us what you think