Apply for a respiratory therapist license

Looking to get your respiratory therapist license? Apply here. This application is not for limited licenses.
Once an application is received by the Board, it takes a minimum of 3-5 weeks to review the completed application and determine if any additional information is required.

Board of Respiratory Care

The Details   of Apply for a respiratory therapist license

What you need   for Apply for a respiratory therapist license

  • Limited permit number (if applicable)
  • Social Security Number SSN
  • Date and place of birth
  • Mother's maiden name
  • 2x2 passport style color photo with a white or off-white background
    • Copies and printer generated photos are not acceptable
  • A notary signature
  • Official transcripts in signed, sealed envelopes for all respiratory care programs/degrees. When requesting official transcripts, please inform each school’s registrar that the transcript must be complete and state the degree and date conferred in mm/dd/yyyy format. The institutions must send transcripts directly to the Board.
  • National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) documentation of certification. The verification must be sent directly to the Board; email, online, and other verifications are not acceptable. You must have obtained a passing score on NBRC’s CCRT examination.
  • Verification of licensure status, in signed, sealed envelopes, from any state or jurisdiction in which you now or have previously held any professional license or board certification. The state or other jurisdictions must send verifications directly to the Board.
  • Signed and notarized Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgement Form

If applicable

  • If you hold, or have ever held, any professional license, you must request and submit a National Practitioner Data Bank-Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank Self-Query. To request a Self-Query, please contact the National Practitioner Data Bank. Include the original report with this application. Make a copy for your records.
    • Note A: If you don't hold and have never held any professional licenses in any other state or jurisdiction, you don't need to submit a National Practitioner Data Bank self-query
  • If you answer "yes" to any of the questions 12-17:
    • Attach a separate sheet explaining the circumstances

Fees   for Apply for a respiratory therapist license

Note: If you hold a limited permit license you must pay the full license fee in addition to the fee previously paid for your limited permit license.

Name Fee Unit
Respiratory Care initial license $260 each

How to apply   Apply for a respiratory therapist license

Go to the Health Professions Licensing Portal  and create an account, or log into your existing account. If this is your first time using this new portal, please visit Health Professions Licensing System User Guide.

Next steps   for Apply for a respiratory therapist license

Keep a copy

Keep a copy of the completed application and documentation for your records. Employers may require that you provide them with a copy.

More info   for Apply for a respiratory therapist license

The address printed on your license is a public record that is available to anyone who requests it. If you are using your home address, you may wish to consider changing this to an office address. You may request address changes online at the board’s website, or you may get a form online to submit to the Board’s office.

Contact   for Apply for a respiratory therapist license

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.