Pipeline Safety Division
What you need
If you intend to blast at a quarry within 500 feet of a natural gas pipeline or metering and regulation station, you must first get approval from the DPU's Pipeline Division. If you do not get approval before blasting, you may be found in violation of state law, St. 2014, c. 149, sec. 7.
To get the required approval, you must submit an Application for Blasting at Quarries, by email or mail, along with the following:
- a copy of the blasting plan;
- the associated Dig Safe ticket(s); and
- the approved FP‑6 permit issued by the local fire department.
How to apply
You can email your application to the following individuals (include all three email addresses)
Or, you can mail your application and associated documents to:
Director, Pipeline Safety Division
Department of Public Utilities
One South Station
Boston, MA 02110
No less than 24 hours before your blasting operation, you must email the following individuals with the scheduled date of the specific blasting operation, a copy of the associated Dig Safe ticket(s), and a copy of the approved Application for Blasting:
If your planned blasting operation does not take place on the scheduled date, you must inform the individuals noted above by email.
You will need to submit a new Application if the following occurs:
- If your schedule changes and the blast will occur on a date other than the one specified in your Application, you must submit a new Application with a copy of the blasting plan, the associated Dig Safe ticket(s), and the approved FP-6 permit.
- If your blasting plan changes, you must submit a new Application (with the associated Dig Safe ticket(s) and FP-6 permit). You must also secure a new Dig Safe ticket by calling 811 or (888) 344-7233.
AddressOne South Station, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02110