Log in links for this page
Apply to become a Family Child Care Assistant
Contact for Apply to become a Family Child Care Assistant
Department of Early Education and Care
The Details of Apply to become a Family Child Care Assistant
What you need for Apply to become a Family Child Care Assistant
Before you apply, you should know the different requirements and roles for Regular and Certified Family Child Care Assistants:
- A Regular Family Child Care Assistant is someone who assists the provider and can only be left alone with the children for a small period of time if they are CPR and First Aid certified. If you want to work as a Regular Family Child Care Assistant, you need a letter of approval.
- A Certified Family Child Care Assistant is someone who can assist a licensed Family Child Care provider and provide substitute care for a longer period of time. If you want to work as a Certified Family Child Care Assistant, you need a certificate.
Before you apply to be a Family Child Care Assistant, please check if you meet the requirements of Regular or Certified Assistants. In order to apply to be an Assistant, you need to submit:
- A new Assistant transaction through the EEC LEAD Provider Portal, which will include your background record check consent forms. Please contact the EEC licensing office in your region to obtain a new user account on the LEAD Portal.
- Proof of completing the required pre-service training within the past year. Electronic copies of these training certificates will need to be uploaded into the LEAD Portal.
- Copies of CPR and First Aid certificates (for certified Family Child Care Assistants and regular Family Child Care Assistants who might care for the children without the supervisor only). Electronic copies of these documents will need to be uploaded into the LEAD Portal.
- A signed check or money order made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (for certified Family Child Care Assistants only). The LEAD Portal will generate an email to send in with your payment so that it can be affiliated with your transaction.
- A signed and completed Background Record Check (BRC) form.
Incomplete applications will be closed after 90 days.
Please Note: Some of the required training materials require Adobe Flash Player to run on your computer. Please make sure that you download Flash Player for free before running the program.
Fees for Apply to become a Family Child Care Assistant
|Certified Family Child Care Assistant||$75||each|
|Regular Family Child Care Assistant application fee||$0||each|
How to apply Apply to become a Family Child Care Assistant
Family Child Care Assistant application forms are only available through EEC's Licensing Education Analytic Database (LEAD) system, and all required application materials must be submitted to EEC through LEAD.
To obtain a new user account on LEAD, contact your local EEC licensing office.
Once your complete application is received by EEC, a licensor will review the materials and contact you if further information or clarification is needed. If your application is successful, EEC will issue you a letter of approval or certificate, which is valid for 3 years.