More about:

File an eviction case

Learn the necessary steps a landlord needs to take to file an eviction case.

District, Housing, and Boston Municipal Courts

The Details

What you need

  • Notice to Quit
  • Summons and Complaint form
  • Return of Service

The eviction proceedings follow the same rules in all courts, called the Uniform Summary Process Rules, but there are some different practices among court departments. You should first determine where you want to file your case (see how to file below).

The first step in the eviction process is to terminate (end) the tenancy utilizing a Notice to Quit. (see When a landlord can evict a tenant for more information). After the notice period has ended, and the tenancy has been terminated, you can start an eviction case against the tenant.

You must fill out a form that is called the Summons and Complaint. You must purchase this form from the Clerk’s office of the court where you intend to file. It is not available online, although there is a Summons and Complaint sample form available below.

After purchasing and filling out this form, you will hire a sheriff or constable to serve it on the tenant.  Once the sheriff/constable serves the summons and complaint, you must then file it with the court and pay the filing fee. For more information on this step, see Service of Process in the Boston Municipal Court (BMC) or District Court.

There are four important dates to keep in mind when you begin an eviction case. It is important that you follow these dates. If you do not, your case could be dismissed:

  • Service date
  • Entry date
  • Answer date
  • Trial date


Name Fee Unit
Filing for eviction (in Housing Court) $120 each
Filing for eviction (District Court/BMC) $180 each
Surcharge $15 each
Required summons $5 each
Summons and Complaint form $5 each

How to file

Decide where you want to file your case:

  • Your local housing court (if one covers your area); or
  • Boston Municipal Court (BMC) (that covers the city or town where the apartment is located); or
  • District Court (that covers the city or town where the apartment is located).
  • Eviction cases may also be filed, if appropriate, in the Superior Court.
  • Commercial (non-residential) evictions cannot be filed in the Housing Court.  

Housing Court

  • Some areas in Massachusetts do not have a Housing Court available. If the residence is in an area without a Housing Court, you must file in a BMC or District Court. Locate a Housing Court and view the jurisdiction information.
  • Housing Courts hear only housing-related cases, while BMC or District Courts hear many other types of cases.
  • Housing Courts offer Housing Specialists, employees of the court who serve as mediators for cases that are filed in the Housing Court.

BMC or District Court

  • There is a BMC or District Court available for every city and town.
  • Boston Municipal Courts or District Courts do not specialize in housing cases – they hear many other types of cases.
  • There are no Housing Specialists available in the BMC or District Court.
  • The tenant may choose to transfer the case to a Housing Court if you bring the case in BMC or District Court and there is a Housing Court that covers the city or town where the residence is located.


Next steps

  1. Service date

    The service date is the day when you can serve the tenant with the summons and complaint. The service date can occur, at the earliest, on the day after the tenancy has been terminated.

  2. Entry date

    The entry date is the day when you will file with the court. It occurs after the tenant is served with the Summons and Complaint.

    You must file the following with the court on or before the Monday “entry date” stated in the Summons and Complaint:

    • The Notice to Quit
    • Summons and Complaint, and
    • Return of Service

    The entry date must be no fewer than 7 days and no more than 30 days after the service date. Entry dates must be on a Monday, unless Monday is a holiday, then it may be on that following Tuesday.

  3. The answer date

    The answer date is the day when the tenant’s written answer must be filed if he or she has defenses to your legal claims that he or she wants the court to consider. Answers, counterclaims, discovery requests, and pretrial motions can be served and filed anytime on or before the first Monday after the Monday “entry date” stated in the Summons and Complaint. You can contact the clerk’s office for information regarding service, entry, and answer deadlines as well as the trial date and courtroom session.

  4. The trial date

    The trial is the day when your tenants and you come to court.

    • If the tenant has not requested a jury trial in their answer, you may have a bench trial in front of a judge that day and your case will be resolved.
    • The trial date is usually scheduled for 10 days after the entry date (i.e. the Thursday following the answer date), however if the tenant requests discovery, the trial date will be automatically postponed 2 weeks. This is called the rescheduled trial date.
  5. Other issues

    Can I sue my tenant for money damages in a summary process (eviction) case?

    In a summary process case, the landlord can sue the tenant for unpaid rent, even if the tenancy was terminated for a reason other than nonpayment of rent. The summons and complaint form includes a section for the landlord to specify the rent that is owed. However, the landlord cannot include a claim for other types of damages, such as property damage or unpaid utilities, in a summary process case. The landlord can file a separate civil or small claims case to recover damages other than unpaid rent.

    Can I sue my tenant for unpaid rent without filing a summary process case?

    Yes. The landlord can sue the tenant for unpaid rent (or for other damages) in either a civil or a small claims case. The landlord may consider taking such actions if the tenant owes rent and has moved out before the landlord files an eviction case. The procedures for civil actions are governed by the Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure. Normally, it is advisable to consult an attorney before suing a tenant for money damages in a civil action. On the other hand, the small claims procedure is designed to provide an informal process for litigants who wish to proceed without an attorney. The procedures for small claims action are governed by the Massachusetts Uniform Small Claims Rules. There is a $7,000 ceiling (exclusive of punitive damages) on the amount of money damages that can be recovered in a small claims case. Thus, if a tenant owes $9,000 in rent, a small claims judgment will be limited to $7,000 and the $2,000 portion of the unpaid rent debt will be waived.





Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think