Contact for How to File a Complaint with the State Ethics Commission
State Ethics Commission
The Details of How to File a Complaint with the State Ethics Commission
What you need for How to File a Complaint with the State Ethics Commission
All materials relating to a complaint are required by law to be kept confidential, including the name of the person making the complaint. A complaint may be filed by telephone by speaking to an Intake Investigator, or in writing via U.S. mail, or using the Commission's online complaint form.
The Commission's Enforcement Division will notify you when it has completed its review of your complaint. If the Commission publicly resolves any of the allegations in your complaint, you will receive a copy of the public finding or decision.
Please note the following:
- Do not file the same complaint more than once or use more than one of these methods to file the same complaint.
- You will be notified when we have completed reviewing the matter.
- If you file a complaint anonymously, we will not be able to contact you to follow up on your complaint or notify you when we have completed our review.
- The Commission will not return any materials submitted in support of complaints. If you are sending documents or records with your complaint, please be sure to maintain your original copy.
How to file How to File a Complaint with the State Ethics Commission
Call the Intake Investigator at (617) 371-9500 or (888) 485-4766.
Intake Investigators are generally available to take calls between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. If an investigator is not available to speak with you immediately, one will return your call within one business day.
- You must provide your name, address, telephone number and email address or your complaint will not be accepted. All written communication from the Commission will be sent to either your home address or to the email address you provided to us. Please notify the Commission of any change of address while your complaint is being reviewed.
- Anonymous complaints will not be accepted electronically. If you wish to remain anonymous, please call, write or visit the Commission.
- The Commission does not acknowledge receipt of online complaints by email.
Disclaimer Notice about Sending or Receiving Information via Email
The Commission is required to maintain confidentiality with respect to its receipt and regarding its review of complaints, and is specifically required to keep confidential the identities of complainants. We urge anyone who wishes to file a complaint electronically to do so using his or her home computer. Use of a computer provided by an employer or others may not protect your, or the subject's, privacy. Your employer, for example, may have a right to access the emails and other electronic information sent on the employer's computers or network. The Ethics Commission will not be responsible for any breaches of confidentiality that occur in connection with information transmitted electronically or via email.
- You must have an email program available to submit the online form. It is sent to the Commission as an email attachment. If you do not have an email program, please call or write to the Commission to file your complaint.
- If you wish to remain anonymous, do not use the online complaint form. Anonymous online complaints will not be accepted. Please call or write to the Commission to file an anonymous complaint.
- You will need the latest version of Adobe Reader to be able to fill out the form. You can download the latest version at https://get.adobe.com/reader/. The web browser that you use to complete the online complaint form must allow you to use Adobe Reader:
- If you are using Internet Explorer, it should allow you to use Adobe Reader by default unless you use a different program to view pdf documents and that program is set as a web browser default program.
- If you are using Mozilla Firefox, you need to verify that Adobe Reader will activate whenever a pdf document is opened. To do this, open the web browser and click “Tools” in the menu selections at the top left of your screen, then click “Add-ons” in the drop down menu, then click “Plug-ins” from the menu selections on the left side of the screen, and then select “Always Activate” from the drop down menu next to Adobe Acrobat.
- If you are using Google Chrome, it has its own built-in pdf viewer which has to be disabled so that Adobe Reader becomes the default pdf viewer. To do this, open Chrome and type the url: chrome://plugins in the web address and hit Enter on your keyboard. The web browser plug-in page will open. Click to disable the “Chrome PDF Viewer.” Alternatively, you can type chrome://extensions in the url address, hit Enter, and click the “Enable” box for Adobe Acrobat Extension.
- When you complete the form, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the form. A pop-up window will appear asking you to select the type of email program you will use to submit the online form, either a default email program on your computer, such as Microsoft Outlook, or a web email program, such as Gmail. Once you make your selection, click "ok" and an email message will display with the Commission's email address pre-populated in the address field. Your online form will be attached to that email. Press "Send" to email the form to the State Ethics Commission. You should then receive an auto-reply message stating that your complaint was received.
For further assistance with the online complaint form, contact Commission IT Specialist Tony Webb at 617-371-9526.
File a complaint via U.S. mail:
State Ethics Commission
One Ashburton Place, Room 619
Boston, MA 02108-1501
Please include all relevant facts and a specific concern. Include the name of the public employee/official about whom you are complaining, his/her position, and the specifics of your concern in as much detail as possible.
If you are sending documents or records with your complaint, please be sure to send us only copies and maintain your originals. Materials submitted to the Enforcement Division cannot be returned.
Meet with an Intake Investigator at the Ethics Commission's Offices located at:
One Ashburton Place, Room 619
Boston, MA 02108
To file a complaint in person please call (617) 371-9500 to schedule an appointment with an Intake Investigator.
Intake Investigators are generally available between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday to take complaints.
File a complaint via facsimile at (617) 723-4086.