Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program
Contact for Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program
The Details of Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program
What you need for Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program
Each year, sections of Camp Edwards on Joint Base Cape Cod are open to deer hunting in the fall and turkey hunting in the spring. About 11,000 acres of this active military training area are open to hunting. However, access is strictly controlled. You must pre-register to participate in the hunt. Make sure to check in daily to show your credentials and receive a daily permit when hunting on the base.
2018 controlled hunt dates
- Youth Turkey Hunt: April 28, 2018
- Spring Turkey Hunt: May 7-11, 2018
- Youth Deer Hunt: Sept. 29, 2018
- Paraplegic Deer Hunt: Nov. 1-3, 2018
- Archery Deer Scouting: Nov. 5-6, 2018 (8am - 12pm, check in/out at Range Center)
- Archery Deer Hunt: Nov. 8-10, 2018
- Military Deer Hunt: Nov. 30 - Dec. 1, 2018
- Shotgun Deer Hunt: Dec. 3-8, 2018
- Muzzleloader Deer Hunt: Dec. 14-15, 2018
To hunt on the base, you must have a Massachusetts hunting license and complete a pre-registration form every year. You’ll be subject to a background check. Permission to hunt is determined by the base commander.
You must have a firearms identification card or license to carry if you'll be hunting with shotguns or primitive firearms. You must provide a photo ID if you'll be using archery equipment.
How to register Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program
If you want to participate in both the turkey and deer hunts, you only need to complete 1 pre-registration form. You must pre-register annually.
You can complete the form to register for the Camp Edwards hunt online.
- You must pre-register for the turkey hunt by April 1.
- You much pre-register for the deer hunt by October 1.
Mail or deliver completed turkey or deer hunt pre-registration forms to:
MassWildlife’s Southeast District Office
Camp Edwards Controlled Hunt
195 Bournedale Road
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
Next steps for Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program
- There is a limit of 500 hunters allowed on the base at any time. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Hunters must comply with state hunting laws and regulations, including the blaze orange requirement for firearms deer seasons.
- The hunter check-in station opens at 5 a.m. for deer hunts and 4:30 a.m. for turkey hunts.
- You must enter the base from the Route 28 (General MacArthur Boulevard) rotary. Follow signs on Connery Avenue to access the check-in station.
- During check-in, your identification, licenses, stamps, and FID or LTC cards (if applicable) will be checked. You will also be asked to complete a liability form.
- You’ll also receive information about hunting on the base during check-in.
- After successfully completing the check-in process, you’ll be given a 1 day hunting permit and vehicle access permit.
- You must return these permits no later than ½ hour after the end of legal hunting hours.
- Successful hunters must report their harvest at the check-in station.
- Failure to comply with all rules and regulations will result in the loss of hunting privileges.