Log in links for this page
- This page, Reinstate your driver's license, is offered by
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
Reinstate your driver's license
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Reinstate your driver's license
What you need for Reinstate your driver's license
To reinstate your license, you will need to:
- Check your license status, and see what requirements are necessary for your specific case
- Pay the reinstatement fee, which varies based on violation
You may be required to pass one or more of the following tests in order to reinstate your Class D , Class M, or commercial driver's license (CDL) or learner's permit:
- Class D learner's permit exam
- Class M learner's permit exam
- Class D road test
- Class M road test
- CDL learner's permit exam
- CDL road test
If your suspension period is 2 years or more, you are required to take a full exam (learner's permit exam and road test) in order to reinstate your suspended/revoked learner's permit or driver's license.
A Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) Hearings Officer may determine upon review of an operator’s record that the operator is required to take a learner's permit exam and/or a road test for suspensions/revocations less than 2 years.
A junior operator is required by Massachusetts General Laws to take the learner's permit exam and/or road test to reinstate his/her driver's license.
A CDL driver must take both the CDL permit exam and CDL road test in order to reinstate his/her suspended/revoked CDL learner's permit or license.
Fees for Reinstate your driver's license
Reinstatement fees are determined by Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 33. They range from $100.00 to $1200.00.
How to request Reinstate your driver's license
You must submit the following at an RMV Service Center in order to reinstate your learner's permit or driver's license:
• Applicable fee(s)
Most Service Centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check which are accepted at the site you will be visiting.
If you have met all requirements, you can pay your reinstatement fees online.
More info for Reinstate your driver's license
The RMV may require you to complete one or more of the following classes or programs in order to reinstate:
- National Safety Council (NSC)/Massachusetts driver retraining program
- State Courts Against Road Rage (SCARR)
- Driver attitudinal retraining
- Drug or alcohol counseling and/or education program
- Youth Alcohol Program (YAP)
Refer to the required classes or programs page for more information.