Renew your driver's license
Registry of Motor Vehicles
What you need
Effective March 26, 2018, to get or renew any driver's license, ID card, or learner's permit, you need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law. Visit mass.gov/id for more information.
- Decide what type of ID you want – a REAL ID (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts ID (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at mass.gov/id to decide
- Complete your application online
- Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center
- Turning 21 soon? You may want to wait to renew until your birthday. See the 'More info' section below.
You can’t renew your driver’s license if:
- Your driver’s license is suspended or revoked.
- You have unpaid parking tickets, excise tax, or EZ-Pass violations.
Turning 21 soon? You may want to wait to renew until your birthday. See the 'Turning 21?' section below.
|Class D Renewal Fee||$50||each|
|Class M Renewal Fee||$50||each|
|Class DM Renewal Fee||$65||each|
How to renew
The easiest and quickest way to renew your driver's license is online. You will need to provide:
- Your driver's license number.
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
- Your email address.
- The applicable fee.
You will be able to review and change your address if necessary during the application process.
Bring your completed application and payment for the required fee to:
- RMV Service Centers
- AAA branches that offer RMV services (if you belong to AAA)
Most service centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check which are accepted at the site you will be visiting.
Unpaid fines or taxes
You can check the status of your driver’s license to find out if you have unpaid fines or excise taxes that will prevent you from renewing your driver's license. You will need to pay any outstanding obligations before renewing your license.
- Parking tickets or excise taxes — Pay the tickets or taxes, and get a receipt from the city or town showing that items have been paid.
- EZ-Pass MA — Call customer service at (877) 627-7745 to pay your violations.
If you renew your driver's license before your 21st birthday, you will receive a vertical license with the words "Under 21" printed on it. That license will be good for 5 years. However, if you renew your license on or after your 21st birthday, you will receive a standard horizontal license without "Under 21" printed on it.