Renew your driver's license
Contact for Renew your driver's license
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Renew your driver's license
What you need for Renew your driver's license
- Decide what type of card you want – a REAL ID driver's license (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts driver's license (not valid for federal purposes). Need help deciding? Try our REAL ID: Real answers tool.
- If you want a Standard driver's license, you may be able to complete your renewal online by entering the information from your lawful presence document.
- If you want a REAL ID driver's license, are over the age of 75, or are renewing your license for the 1st time, you will need to visit an RMV Service Center with proof of the required documentation for
- Lawful presence (1 document)
- If your name differs on the lawful presence document, you must also provide proof of the legal name change
- Social Security number (1 document)
- Massachusetts residency (2 documents)
- Lawful presence (1 document)
- Complete your application online
- Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center
You can’t renew your driver’s license if:
- Your driver’s license is suspended or revoked.
- You have unpaid parking tickets, excise tax, or EZ-Pass violations.
Turning 21 soon? You may want to wait to renew until your birthday. See the 'Turning 21?' section below.
Fees for Renew your driver's license
*Class D and M licenses and permits and Mass IDs can be issued for less than 5 years, depending on the duration of an applicant’s lawful presence in the U.S. In this case, the fee will be prorated, based on the how long the license, permit, or Mass ID is valid. For a license, it will be $10.00 per year. For a Mass ID, it will be $5.00 per year.
|Class D Renewal Fee||$50||each|
|Class M Renewal Fee||$50||each|
|Class DM Renewal Fee||$65||each|
How to renew Renew your driver's license
The easiest and quickest way to renew your driver's license is online. You will need to provide:
- Your driver's license number.
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
- Your email address.
- The applicable fee.
You will be able to review and change your address if necessary during the application process.
Bring your completed application and payment for the required fee to:
- RMV Service Centers
- AAA branches that offer RMV services (if you belong to AAA)
Most service centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check which are accepted at the site you will be visiting.
More info about Renew your driver's license
You can renew your license up to 2 years after expiration. If your license has been expired more than 2 years, you will be required to take the learner's permit exam and road test.
Unpaid fines or taxes
You can check the status of your driver’s license to find out if you have unpaid fines or excise taxes that will prevent you from renewing your driver's license. You will need to pay any outstanding obligations before renewing your license.
- Parking tickets or excise taxes — Pay the tickets or taxes, and get a receipt from the city or town showing that items have been paid.
- EZ-Pass MA — Call customer service at (877) 627-7745 to pay your violations.
If you renew your driver's license before your 21st birthday, you will receive a vertical license with the words "Under 21" printed on it. That license will be good for 5 years. However, if you renew your license on or after your 21st birthday, you will receive a standard horizontal license without "Under 21" printed on it.