Replace your Liquor ID card

If your Liquor ID has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it as soon as possible.
The RMV will mail your replacement to your mailing address on record within 5-7 days.

Registry of Motor Vehicles


The Details of Replace your Liquor ID card

What you need for Replace your Liquor ID card

There are 2 ways to request a replacement Liquor ID. You can call the RMV's Contact Center or start your application online and visit an RMV Service Center

You will need your:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Last 4 digits of your Social Security number
  • Applicable fee

Fees for Replace your Liquor ID card

Name Fee Unit
Liquor ID Card Fee $25 each

How to replace Replace your Liquor ID card

Call our contact center, where an employee will issue you a duplicate Liquor ID: 

(857) 368-8000 
From area codes 339, 617, 781, and 857, or from outside Massachusetts

(800) 858-3926
From all other Massachusetts area codes

TTY: (877) 768-8833
For people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing (in Massachusetts)

    Bring the completed application, along with all proper documentation and fees to an RMV service center.

    You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.


    You cannot process a Liquor ID application online. However, you can get ready by completing the application online and answering a series of questions. At the end of the questionnaire, you will be provided with a complete application and list of required documents that you will need to bring with you to an RMV Service Center.

    More info for Replace your Liquor ID card

    You cannot cancel or return a duplicate ID after ordering it.

    Downloads for Replace your Liquor ID card

    Contact for Replace your Liquor ID card