Report child abuse or neglect
Contact for Report child abuse or neglect
Report Child Abuse
The Details of Report child abuse or neglect
What you need for Report child abuse or neglect
If you know of or suspect child abuse or neglect please call immediately. During regular business hours (8:45am-5:00pm M-F) call the DCF area office that serves the city or town where the child lives. Otherwise, dial the Child-at-Risk Hotline at 800-792-5200. Please gather as much information as you can about the suspected abuse or neglect before calling.
Do not use the Feedback tool at the bottom of this page to report an incident of suspected abuse or neglect.
Massachusetts state law requires professionals whose work brings them in contact with children to notify DCF if they suspect that a child is being abused and/or neglected. State law refers to these people as mandated reporters. If you don't know if you are a mandated reporter, see the Mandated Reporter Guide.
In addition to calling, mandated reporters must also complete a written report within 48 hours of their call to DCF. This written report can be completed online. A written report can also be sent via fax or mail.
How to report Report child abuse or neglect
- If a child is in immediate danger, call 911.
- During regular business hours (8:45am - 5:00pm M-F) call the DCF area office that serves the city or town where the child lives.
* Note that some cities have more than one DCF office. Use the coverage directory for Boston, Springfield, or Worcester to figure out which office to call.
- After hours, or on weekends, call the Child-Risk-Hotline 1-800-792-5200.
Mandated Reporters only:
- After making the initial call, within 48 hours complete the required written report.