More about:

Transfer your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) from out-of-state

If you have CDL from another state, you need to convert it to a driver's license upon becoming a resident in Massachusetts.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details

What you need

To transfer your commercial driver’s license, you must do the following

  1. Decide what type of driver's license you want – a REAL ID Massachusetts Driver’s License (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts Driver’s License (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at to decide
  2. Complete your application online
  3. Bring your required identification (including your out-of-state learner's license) and completed application to an RMV Service Center
  4. Pass a vision test

  5. Present your current CDL at the time of the transaction

When converting an out-of-state CDL, the written and road tests may be waived if you are currently licensed at the time of your application, and the following criteria are met:

  • You must certify that, during the 2-year period immediately before applying for a CDL you:
    • Do not have more than one driver’s license
    • Do not have any license suspended, revoked, or canceled
    • Do not have any convictions for any type of motor vehicle disqualifying offenses
    • Do not have more than one conviction for any type of motor vehicle for serious traffic violations
    • Do not have any conviction for a violation of state or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control. This excludes parking violation. You must have no record of an accident in which you were at fault and no incidents of fraud relating to obtaining a driver’s license.
  • You must provide evidence and certify that:
    • You have operated a vehicle, representing a commercial motor vehicle you intend to drive
    • You can provide documentation proving U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency

You must provide the following documentation for waiver consideration:

  • Current out-of-state CDL
  • An original copy of a driving record from a previous state of licensure less than 30 days old. This must state that you have held a CDL with no disqualifying events
  • Proof of residency in Massachusetts

How to transfer

Bring all required documents, completed application, and fees to any RMV Service Center:

  • The current out-of-state Commercial Driver’s License
  • Identification documents which prove the following:
    • Massachusetts Residence
    • Signature
    • Date of Birth
  • An original copy of a driving record from a previous state of licensure, indicating that the customer has the minimum requirement of two years of experience from the date of issuance of the Commercial Driver’s License
  • Self-certification documents, if applicable, which may include the following:
    • A complete CDL self-certification form
    • A United States Department of Transportation (US DOT) medical examiner's certificate or intrastate medical waiver, unless the customer is exempt. For example, a US DOT medical examiner's certificate or intrastate medical waiver may not be required for a state or municipal employee using a state or municipal vehicle
    • § If the US DOT medical examiner's certificate is only valid with a vision, diabetes, or skills performance evaluation variance granted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the customer will also need to provide this documentation
  • The completed application
  • The applicable fee


You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.

More info

Transferring endorsements

When you apply for a Commercial Driver's License out-of-state conversion, you may also choose to transfer the endorsements on the previous Commercial Driver's License. However, due to federal requirements, an H endorsement (HazMat) is not transferable. To receive an H endorsement on a Massachusetts Commercial Driver's License, you must reapply for the endorsement.





Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think