Transfer your out of state driver's license to Massachusetts

If you have a driver’s license from another state, you need to convert it to a MA driver’s license upon becoming a resident in Massachusetts.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details

What you need

To transfer your out-of-state license to a Massachusetts license, you must:

  1. Decide what type of driver's license you want – a REAL ID Massachusetts Driver’s License (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts Driver’s License (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at to decide

  2. Complete your application online
  3. Bring your required identification (including your out-of-state license) and completed application to an RMV Service Center

You must convert your driver's education certificate or complete driver's education in Massachusetts, if you under the age of 18.

All documents must be originals.

If you have a license from Canada, Mexico, or a U.S. territory (including Puerto Rico), you must present a driving record not more than 30 days old.


Name Fee Unit
Class D Driver's License Conversion Fee $115 each
Class M Driver's License Conversion Fee $115 each
Class D and M Driver's License Conversion Fee $130 each

How to transfer

Bring all required documents, fees, and the completed application to any RMV Service Center.

You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.


More info

If your license has been expired more than 1 year, a full test (written and road) and an eye test will be required.

To transfer your license, you must have a valid immigration status for at least 12 months.  If your legal immigration status is less than 12 months, you are not eligible to obtain a Massachusetts driver's license.




Tell us what you think