Log in links for this page
Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
Contact for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
What you need for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
An out-of-state learner's permit can be converted to a Massachusetts learner's permit if:
- The learner's permit is issued by another state, the District of Columbia, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, or a U.S. Territory. The RMV does not convert learner's permits from any other country
- You are a resident of Massachusetts
- You are at least 16 years old
- You are clear of any outstanding obligations to any state
- You meet the minimum medical standards for a license in Massachusetts
- The out-of-state learner's permit was issued less than 2 years ago
- The out-of-state learner’s permit does not indicate that it is “temporary,” “limited term,” “driver privilege only,” or any other type that has no equivalent Massachusetts learner’s permit
To transfer your out of state learner's permit, you must:
- Decide what type of permit you want – a REAL ID Massachusetts permit (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts permit (not valid for federal purposes). Go to mass.gov/id to decide.
- Start your application online
- Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center
You must convert your driver's education certificate or complete driver's education in Massachusetts, if you under the age of 18.
If you have a learner's permit from Canada, Mexico, or a U.S. territory (including Puerto Rico), you must present a driving record not more than 30 days old. Refer to the More Info section if your Driving Record is not printed in English.
Please note that the RMV does not transfer commercial learner's permits (CLPs).
Fees for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
|Learner's Permit Application Fee||$30||each|
How to transfer Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.
You cannot process a learner's permit application online. However, you can get ready by completing the application online and answering a series of questions. At the end of the questionnaire, you will be provided with a complete application and list of required documents that you will need to bring with you to a RMV Service Center.
Next steps for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
To get your driver's license, you will need to take and pass a road test. If you are under 18 years of age, you must meet all junior operator requirements.
More info for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
If you present a driving record that is not written or printed in the English language, the Registrar may require the document to be accompanied by a translation that is certified by one of the following:
• A bilingual teacher at an accredited Massachusetts college, university, or private language school
• A bilingual notary public
• The local consulate for the document’s country of origin
• The American Translators Association (the national association of professional translators and interpreters)
If translated by a teacher or consulate, the translation must be printed on the letterhead of the consulate, college, university, or private language school and it must be properly formatted. Visit www.mass.gov/rmv to see the acceptable format. If translated by a notary, the translation must have the notary’s official seal.