Log in links for this page
- This page, Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts, is offered by
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
What you need for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
Class D and M Learner’s Permits may be converted to an equivalent Massachusetts issued permit if you meet the RMV’s identification requirements. To be eligible for conversion, the out-of-state permit must have been issued less than two years ago. You must also provide a certified driving record (not more than 30 days old).
An out-of-state learner's permit can be converted to a Massachusetts learner's permit if:
- The learner's permit is issued by another state, the District of Columbia, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, or a U.S. Territory. The RMV does not convert learner's permits from any other country
- You are a resident of Massachusetts
- You are at least 16 years old
- You are clear of any outstanding obligations to any state
- You meet the minimum medical standards for a license in Massachusetts
- The out-of-state learner's permit was issued less than 2 years ago
- The out-of-state learner’s permit does not indicate that it is “temporary,” “limited term,” “driver privilege only,” or any other type that has no equivalent Massachusetts learner’s permit
To transfer your out of state learner's permit, you must:
- Decide what type of permit you want – a REAL ID Massachusetts permit (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts permit (not valid for federal purposes). Go to mass.gov/id to decide.
- Start your application online
- Bring your required identification (including certified driving record from jurisdiction you are transferring from) and completed application to an RMV Service Center
You must convert your driver's education certificate or complete driver's education in Massachusetts, if you under the age of 18.
Please note that the RMV does not transfer commercial learner's permits (CLPs).
Fees for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
|Learner's Permit Application Fee||$30||each|
How to transfer Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.
You cannot process a learner's permit application online. However, you can get ready by completing the application online and answering a series of questions. At the end of the questionnaire, you will be provided with a complete application and list of required documents that you will need to bring with you to a RMV Service Center.
Next steps for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
To get your driver's license, you will need to take and pass a road test. If you are under 18 years of age, you must meet all junior operator requirements.
More info for Transfer your out of state learner’s permit to Massachusetts
If you present a driving record that is not written or printed in the English language, the RMV may require the document to be accompanied by a translation that is certified by one of the following:
Language Service Provider
A bilingual teacher at an accredited Massachusetts college, university, or private language school
A bilingual notary public
The local consulate for the document’s country of origin
NOTE: Not all consulates provide translation services. Make sure you confirm with the consulate before choosing this option.
The American Translators Association (the national association of professional translators and interpreters)
U.S. Government agency (state or federal)
Massachusetts municipal agency
Both the translation and certification must be printed on the letterhead of the certifying entity. The RMV will post a template that can be used in the near future. This page will be updated when available.
Certifications must include the following information:
Translator’s name (printed)
Translator’s full address
Translator’s telephone number or email address
A statement of the translator's qualifications.
A statement affirming the completeness and accuracy of the document.
Identification of the translated document and language.