WW 10, 11: Major/Minor Fill and Excavation Projects

This permit is for projects that propose some fill in a wetland area. The permit also covers projects in submerged land or salt marshes, or that may impact rare species.

MassDEP Wetlands Program

The Details

What you need

Under the federal Clean Water Act, a 401 Water Quality Certification is required for certain activities in wetlands and waters. This law gives states the authority to review projects that must obtain federal licenses or permits and that result in a discharge to state waters, including excavating and fill in wetlands. The purpose of state 401 review is to ensure that a project will comply with state water-quality standards and other appropriate requirements of state law. 

How to apply

See details in Step 5 below. 

Next steps

  1. Review the Instructions

    Guidance on how to prepare your application, including a completeness checklist.

  2. Complete the Application Form

    You may fill out and save the Microsoft Word form on your computer. The PDF version has to be printed out and completed by hand. 

  3. Obtain a Transmittal Form and Number

    A unique Transmittal Number is needed for each application you submit to MassDEP.

  4. Look up the Permit Application Fee

    See under "Water Quality Certifications Fill/Excavation" in the list below.

  5. Mail your Application and Fee Payment

    Submit your application fee payment and a copy of your Transmittal Form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    PO Box 4062
    Boston, MA 02211

    Submit your completed, signed application and your original Transmittal Form to the Wetlands Program in the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (see listing below).


1 Winter Street, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02108


Tell us what you think