Log in links for this page

Instructions for delinquent jurors: Sending proof of disqualification after delinquency

If you have been placed in delinquency status for failing to perform jury duty, and you are not qualified to perform jury duty, you must submit proof of your disqualification to the Office of Jury Commissioner (OJC).

There are 10 reasons for disqualification from jury duty. The reasons are listed below. 

Table of Contents


In order to be disqualified from jury duty for one of these reasons after receiving a Delinquency Notice, you must send the required documentation to the OJC Legal Department at the following address:

Office of Jury Commissioner
Legal Department
560 Harrison Avenue, Suite 600
Boston, Massachusetts 02118.

You can also fax the documentation to the OJC at (617) 422-5869 or email it to dlqjuror@jud.state.ma.us.

Please include your Juror Badge Number on the documentation you send to the OJC.

You are responsible for confirming that the OJC has received your proof of disqualification.

10 reasons for disqualification from jury duty for delinquent jurors


Documentation required to prove disqualification after delinquency

Not a U.S. citizen

Copy of the front and back of your alien registration card (showing your identification number), or visa documentation.

Under age 18 at the time of summons

Copy of your birth certificate.

Over age 70 and choose not to serve

Copy of your birth certificate or other documentation acceptable to the OJC.

Not able to speak and understand sufficient English to perform jury duty

A notarized letter signed by you under the penalty of perjury in which you state your primary language and declare that you do not speak and understand English.  Your declaration must be sworn or affirmed before a notary public.

Moved permanently out of the county

A copy of a utility bill or a lease agreement that shows your name and the address at which you are currently living.

Living out of the county/state for more than one year without returning

A copy of a utility bill or a lease agreement that shows your name and the address at which you are currently living.

Felony conviction within the last 7 years, currently incarcerated, or pending felony case

A copy of your Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI), or a copy of the court docket sheet.  You may also call the Office of Jury Commissioner to request a CORI check.

Prior state or federal jury duty

A copy of your Certificate of Juror Service.

Physically or mentally incapable of performing jury duty

A letter from a registered physician that states 1) the nature of your disability and 2) the physician’s opinion that the disability prevents you from performing jury duty.  If you seek a permanent disqualification from jury duty because of your disability, the physician’s letter must state that your disability is permanent and that you will never be able to perform jury duty.

Primary caretaker of a household member with a permanent disability

A letter from a registered physician that identifies the person with a permanent disability by name, address and age; describes the nature of the care you provide; and provides the physician’s opinion that your performing jury duty would cause substantial risk of injury to the health of the person with a permanent disability.  Persons who are employed at a location other than the household that they share with the person with a permanent disability are not eligible for disqualification as primary caretaker.


Additional Resources



Juror helpline (toll-free in Massachusetts) (800) 843-5879 (THE-JURY)

Monday-Friday 9 am - 4:30 pm

Delinquent jurors (877) 966-7469
From outside Massachusetts (617) 338-6409


(617) 422-5869


Street Address
560 Harrison Ave.
Boston, MA 02118
Mailing Address
560 Harrison Ave., Suite 600
Boston, MA 02118

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback