Up to eight (8) award winners are selected for recognition every year, divided among two categories. Six (6) awards are presented in the Public Entity category and two (2) are awarded in the Individual category.
Public Entity Awards:
- State agencies, authorities, public colleges and universities, and/or their individual departments or facilities
- Municipalities and/or individual municipal departments, municipal or regional public schools, public school districts, regional planning commissions or other regional public entities working with municipalities, and public purchasing cooperatives.
- Individuals employed by or volunteering for any of the above eligible entities
2021 LBE Award Nomination Forms
The 2021 Leading by Example Recognition Awards will be held in December (date, time, and venue TBD). The nomination process and relevant application forms are outlined below, and this LBE Awards 2021 Nomination Process Flyer.
Individual awards will be presented to up to one state government employee or volunteer and up to one municipal employee or volunteer
Nomination forms for the Individual Category can be downloaded here. Nominations must be submitted to Ryan.Kingston@mass.gov by COB Friday, October 22nd.
Public Entity Category
Public Entity awards will be presented to up to two state agencies, up to two public colleges/universities, and up to two municipalities
NEW in 2021: To streamline applications for public entities, the nomination process is divided into two phases:
Phase 1: Nominee Expression of Interest (Optional)
State entities, municipalities, and individuals interested in applying for a 2021 LBE Award are highly encouraged to complete an Express Interest Form. After review by DOER Staff, strong candidates will be encouraged to submit a full Nomination Form (Phase 2).
Nominee Express Interest Forms must be submitted by COB Friday, September 24th.
Phase 2: Full LBE Award Nomination Form
LBE staff will review submissions from Phase 1 and encourage strong candidates to complete Phase 2. However, state entities and municipalities may complete a Full LBE Award Nomination Form at any time, with or without completion of a Nominee Express Interest Form.
LBE Award Nomination Forms must be submitted via email to Ryan.Kingston@mass.gov by COB Friday, October 22nd.
Award Recipients: 2020
The 2020 LBE Award ceremony, held virtually on December 18th, 2020, highlighted a variety of innovative public sector sustainability efforts. Awards were presented to:
- MassDOT Aeronautics Division
- Executive Office of Health and Human Services Facilities
- UMass Medical School
- Fitchburg State University
- City of Woburn
- Town of Worcester
- Larry Sullivan, Town of Norfolk
- Paul Antoniewicz, Trial Courts
For more information, please see:
A full list of winners since 2007 can be found under "Additional Resources" below.