Striper Plate Now Available
The Striped Bass Conservation (SC) license plate joins the three other MET environmental license plates (Right Whale Tail, Brook Trout, and Blackstone Valley Mill) as a specialty plate exclusively for the benefit of the environment.
A SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THE STRIPED BASS CONSERVATION PLATE POSSIBLE BY PRE-REGISTERING AND FOR YOUR PATIENCE!
The Mass Environmental Trust (MET) and the Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) developed the Striped Bass Conservation plate to support new programs to research, protect, and preserve striped bass populations, ensuring that future generations of anglers have the opportunity to experience the unmatched thrill of fishing for this iconic species. The Trust commissioned Cape Cod artist Janet Biondi to create the custom image for the plate that depicts a striped bass in pursuit of alewives, one of its favorite forage species.
How license plate funds will be used
The purpose of the plate is to help fund projects and activities for the conservation of saltwater fish, with a focus on striped bass, for ecosystem sustainability, habitat conservation, and angler education.
Examples of projects include:
- Studies of striped bass populations, stock structure, movements and local ecology
- Studies of angler practices to improve hook-and-release survival
- Habitat improvements, including efforts to enhance diadromous fish (e.g., river herring, eels) passage for better forage for striped bass
- Development and distribution of programs to educate anglers on the importance and means of improving the conservation of marine fisheries resources
Proceeds from the purchase of Striped Bass Conservation plates will be administered by MET. The MET will depend on the expertise of a select panel to establish priorities and recommend projects for funding.
This new grant program will have unique expert oversite from:
- Academic researchers
- Division of Marine Fisheries
- Environmental and advocacy programs
- Massachusetts Environmental Trust
- Recreational and commercial striped bass fisherman
- Scientific experts knowledgeable about striped bass populations and ecology
How to apply
To purchase your Striped Bass specialty plate, visit your local Registry of Motor Vehicles or log on to mass.gov/RMV and select ”Online Service Center”, then “Order Special/Vanity Plates”.
• The initial registration fee for your new plate is: $60
• The special plate fee is: $40
($28 is tax-deductible; $12 is to manufacture the plate)
• Total first-time cost of your Environmental Specialty Plates: $100
• Renewal Fee: $100 every 2 years ($40 is tax-deductible)
Additional registration information
- Registrations must be renewed every two years.
- A normal passenger plate costs $60 every two years. But a specialty passenger plate, such as the Striped Bass Conservation plate, costs $100 every two years.
- This means the plate buyers contribution to the cause is $40 every two years.
- In addition, there is one-time $20 plate transfer fee if you are turning in one plate for another.
- Specialty plates are only available for passenger vehicles.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call (617) 626-1045 if you have any questions.
To learn more about the RMV’s Specialty Plate Program please visit: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/order-a-special-license-plate-to-support-a-favorite-cause
For more information please contact the Division of Marine Fisheries at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Shannon Davis at (617) 626-1621.