The Division of Marine Fisheries manages the state’s commercial and recreational saltwater fisheries and oversees other services that support the marine environment and fishing communities.
Who we serve
The Division of Marine Fisheries serves the recreational and commercial fishing industry, as well as other interested parties, through research, management, and permitting.
Advisories and Legal Notices
03/15/23: In-Person ASMFC Public Hearing on American Lobster Draft Addendum XXVII Added
3/8/23: ASMFC Public Hearing on American Lobster Draft Addendum XXVII
2/28/23: Public Scoping on 2023 Recreational Scup and Black Sea Bass Measures
- Subscribe to DMF advisories and updates!
- Seasonal Trap Gear Closure Reminder (map)
- Trap Gear Buoyline Modifications
- FAQ on New Recreational Striped Bass Rules
- 2021 Guide to DMF Regulations
- Environmental Economic Innovation Grant
- Get Your Striped Bass License Plate
- Become a DMF Citizen Scientist for Striped Bass Conservation
The following industry and government collaborative groups aid DMF in the fisheries management process.
What would you like to do?
- Recreational Lobster Fishing
- Massachusetts Seafood
- Shellfish Sanitation and Management
- Marine Fisheries Publications
- Fisheries Assessments and Surveys
- Recreational and Diadromous Fisheries Research
- Fisheries Habitat Restoration and Monitoring
- Marine Fisheries Management
- Fishing Community Support and Outreach
- Recreational Saltwater Fishing
- Commercial Fishing
- Marine Fisheries Advisories and Legal Notices
- Conservation of Protected Marine Species
Recreational Saltwater Fishing
Buy your saltwater fishing permit, learn how and where to fish, and find out about the rules.