The Division of Marine Fisheries manages the state’s commercial and recreational saltwater fisheries and oversees other services that support the marine environment and fishing communities.
Who We Serve
The Division of Marine Fisheries serves the recreational and commercial fishing industry, as well as other interested parties, through research, management, and permitting.
Advisories and Legal Notices
05/24/23: Striped Bass Regulation Change Effective Friday, May 26
05/22/23: New Rules Affecting Commercial Menhaden Fishery in 2023
05/22/23: MFAC Approves New Commercial Summer Flounder Rules
05/07/23: Area 1A (Gloucester/Rockport) Closed to Mobile Gear
- Striped Bass Emergency Action Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Subscribe to DMF advisories and updates!
- Proposed Regulatory Amendments and Public Hearings
- Marine Fisheries Relief Programs and Grant Opportunities
- Commercial Fishing Rules
- Seasonal Trap Gear Closure Reminder (map)
- Trap Gear Buoyline Modifications
- Mobile Gear Closure Maps and Coordinates
- Recreational Fishing Rules
- Become a DMF Citizen Scientist for Striped Bass Conservation
- Sportfish Angler Data Collection Team
- Get Your Striped Bass License Plate
Social media links
The following industry and government collaborative groups aid DMF in the fisheries management process.
What would you like to do?
- Recreational Lobster Fishing
- Massachusetts Seafood
- Shellfish Sanitation and Management
- Marine Fisheries Publications
- Fisheries Assessments and Surveys
- Recreational and Diadromous Fisheries Research
- Fisheries Habitat Restoration and Monitoring
- Marine Fisheries Management
- Fishing Community Support and Outreach
- Recreational Saltwater Fishing
- Commercial Fishing
- Marine Fisheries Advisories and Legal Notices
- Conservation of Protected Marine Species
Recreational Saltwater Fishing
Buy your saltwater fishing permit, learn how and where to fish, and find out about the rules.