Overview of SNAP Reporting Requirements

Every SNAP household has a certification type based on the age and income types of its members.

Table of Contents

Overview of Certification Types

Every SNAP household has a certification type based on the age and income types of its members. Your certification type tells you a few things about your case including:

  • How long you’ll get benefits before we review your case for renewal;
  • When/if you need to check in; and
  • What information you need to report.

Read your approval notice using DTA Connect to find out your certification type and your reporting requirements. If you aren’t sure or you have questions, please contact us.

You’ll have to update your information at certain check-in periods. We will let you know when it’s time to update your information by sending you a form.

Your certification type will determine what changes you must report in between your scheduled check-in periods. Some certification types have more reporting requirements than others.

You can fill out SNAP Interim Reports and Recertifications online at DTAConnect.com.

Overview of Certification Types

There are 4 different certification types, however most SNAP households are on Simplified Reporting. Your certification type can change. When this happens, DTA will send you a notice to let you know.


Simplified Reporting

Simplified Reporting

SNAP households with adults, seniors, individuals with a disability or children. Any household with earned income will be assigned to this certification type.

Simplified Reporting households have two check-ins. You must fill out an Interim Report form at month 6 and a Recertification form at month 12.

You must report:

  • when your household’s gross monthly income goes over the limit for your household size. If your income increases, but is still below your limit, you don’t have to update us. You must report this to us by the 10th day of the month following the month your income went over the limit.

Note: Gross monthly income is the amount of money you bring in before taxes and expenses are subtracted.

Example: Selina is a mom with one child on Simplified Reporting. Her SNAP was approved in January, so her Interim Report is due in June. Selina starts a second part time job in March earning $200/week. Her total monthly gross income from both jobs is below the gross income limit for her household. She does not need to report the second job until her Interim Report. However, in April Selina works more shifts and her gross income goes above the gross income limit.  She needs to tell DTA by May 10th about this increase in income.

If your household has a member aged 60+ or an individual with a verified disability, the household does not have a gross income limit. Tell us about changes on your Interim Report or Recertification form.

Example: Carla is an ABAWD and works 20 hours per week at a restaurant. Two months after she starts getting SNAP, her boss takes away one of her shifts and her hours go down to 13 per week.  She must tell DTA by the 10th day of the month following the change.

Elderly Disabled Simplified Reporting

Elderly-Disabled Simplified Application Reporting (EDSAP)

This is a SNAP household where all adult members are aged 60+ or have a verified disability. There may be children under 18 in the household. These households do not have any earnings from work.

EDSAP households have one check-in. You must fill out a Recertification form at month 36.

Other than the Recertification, you must report:

  • if someone moves in or out; or
  • if a household member gets a job and starts earning wages.

You must report this change to us by the 10th day of the month following the month of the change.

Example: Edward, age 65, starts a new job in November and receives his first paycheck on November 28. He needs to report the earnings to DTA by December 10th.  Edward does not have a gross income limit and do not need to tell us about changes other than the 2 listed above.

Change Reporting

Change Reporting

This is a SNAP household where all members are receiving economic assistance benefits from DTA (TAFDCEAEDC).

Change Reporting households have one check-in. You must fill out a Recertification form at month 12.

For SNAP, you must report the following changes within 10 days of the change:

  • Change in amount of income your household has, if the change is more than $125 a month
  • Change in where the income comes from (the income source) – if the amount of income you have also changes. For example, if you start or stop a job
  • Changes to who is part of your household. For example, if you have a baby or a child moves in or out
  • Changes in where you live and any changes in how much you pay to live there
  • If you pay child support, you must tell us if you stop making payments or when your legal obligation to pay changes

IMPORTANT: Please note that for your cash case, you are required to report any changes that may affect your eligibility or the amount of your grant within 10 calendar days, except for a change in earnings less than $100 a month.

Bay State Combined Application Project

Bay State Combined Application Project (Bay State CAP):

This is a household of one that receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI). These households may or may not have other sources of unearned income.

Bay State CAP households have one check-in. You must fill out a Recertification form at month 36.

You should report changes in your income or household circumstances to the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213. SSA will tell DTA about your reported changes electronically.

You do not have to report any changes directly to DTA. If your expenses increase, you can tell DTA if you want to.



Get case information and make certain updates to your case 24/7 via the automated prompts. Talk to a case manager between 8:15am-4:45pm, M-F.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback