Report identity theft

You can protect yourself by reporting identity theft to law enforcement, creditors, credit agencies, and government agencies.

Learn more about reporting identity theft. The Federal Trade Commission also provides a step-by-step guide on how to report identity theft at

Reporting to law enforcement

File a police report with your local police department. Keep multiple copies for yourself, your creditors, and the three major credit agencies.

While not all identity theft reports can be individually investigated, by reporting to law enforcement you make it possible for investigators to spot trends and patterns and help protect others from identity theft. The written police report will help you as you report identity theft to creditors and credit agencies.

Reporting to creditors and credit agencies

Make a list of all the creditors and other financial institutions where you do business, such as credit card companies, banks, and phone and internet companies. Report to each of these companies that you are the victim of identity theft and ask each company to place a fraud alert on your account. You should close accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Freezing your credit and placing fraud alerts

Place a credit freeze with each of the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and Transunion). This will protect you from having credit cards or other accounts opened fraudulently. The credit bureaus have three business days after receiving your request to place a freeze on your credit report. There may be a small fee to freeze your credit with each agency.

Call each of the credit reporting agencies at these phone numbers or visit their websites to freeze your credit.

Contact just one of the credit agencies to place a fraud alert on your credit file with all three agencies. This “one-call” fraud alert will remain on your credit file for at least 90 days. After placing a fraud alert, you will receive copies of your credit reports from each agency. You will be notified if anyone attempts to open an account in your name.

Call any one of the credit reporting agencies to place a fraud alert with all three at once:

  • Equifax: 800-525-6285
  • Experian: 888-397-3742
  • TransUnion: 800-680-7289

Learn more about freezing your credit and placing fraud alerts

Reporting to government agencies

If your identity is stolen, you may need to request new or updated documentation with different government agencies.

Contacting the Attorney General’s Office

If you have questions or need help, call the Attorney General’s Consumer Assistance and Response Division at (617) 727-8400.

Contact   for Report identity theft

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.