Updated: September 14, 2022
Keep in mind
- DOR does not keep records past a certain time, and may not necessarily still have what you are asking for.
- For printable forms which have never been filed visit, DOR tax forms and instructions.
- For guidance regarding how long you should keep Massachusetts (DOR) tax records visit, 830 CMR 62C.25.1: Record Retention.
- For guidance regarding how long you should keep Federal (IRS) tax records visit, How long should I keep records?
- For all other inquiries visit, DOR Contact Us.
Request online with MassTaxConnect – (Personal income returns only)
This request requires that you log into MassTaxConnect.
- If you are not already a registered MassTaxConnect user, you will need to create a MassTaxConnect username and password by visiting MassTaxConnect and selecting "Create My Username".
- Your request for a copy of a previously filed personal income tax return may take several days to process.
Request by email – (All tax types)
If you are the taxpayer or a person with a Power of Attorney (POA) for a taxpayer, then you may request taxpayer-specific records (for example, copies of tax returns, or an audit file) by emailing the request (and if you are not the taxpayer, then also a copy of the Power of Attorney) to the email address below.
If you are a U.S. government department or agency, then in some circumstances you may administratively subpoena quarterly wage records for a particular employer or employee.
Email your request together with your POA or email your federal agency administrative subpoena to firstname.lastname@example.org
Taxpayers who need to obtain copies of previous returns must also email a Form M-4506: Request for Copy of Tax Form.
For POA information visit, Power of Attorney (POA) and Third Party Authorization.
Do you need to change this page's language?