Request copies of filed tax returns and taxpayer records from DOR

Learn how you or your power of attorney can access your own tax records from the Department of Revenue (DOR) via MassTaxConnect or email.

Updated: September 14, 2022

Keep in mind

Request online with MassTaxConnect – (Personal income returns only)

This request requires that you log into MassTaxConnect.

Please note:

  • If you are not already a registered MassTaxConnect user, you will need to create a MassTaxConnect username and password by visiting MassTaxConnect and selecting "Create My Username".
  • Your request for a copy of a previously filed personal income tax return may take several days to process. 

Request by email – (All tax types)

If you are the taxpayer or a person with a Power of Attorney (POA) for a taxpayer, then you may request taxpayer-specific records (for example, copies of tax returns, or an audit file) by emailing the request (and if you are not the taxpayer, then also a copy of the Power of Attorney) to the email address below.

If you are a U.S. government department or agency, then in some circumstances you may administratively subpoena quarterly wage records for a particular employer or employee.  

Email your request together with your POA or email your federal agency administrative subpoena to

Taxpayers who need to obtain copies of previous returns must also email a Form M-4506: Request for Copy of Tax Form.

For POA information visit, Power of Attorney (POA) and Third Party Authorization.

Translation Help

Do you need to change this page's language?

Visit How to Translate a Website, Webpage or Document into the Language You Want.

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.