Online RMV Services
Looking for a particular RMV service or transaction? Look through the full list of what the RMV offers online to find what you need.
Go Online First
- Go to Mass.Gov/myrmv to start your transaction online OR find out if you have to visit an RMV service center to complete your transaction
- COMPLETE the online application. Continue until you get a confirmation page with a QR or BAR code. This code will be scanned in the Service Center to populate all of your information instantly and will expedite your visit there!
Accepted ID documents tips
No Laminated Documents
The RMV cannot accept any laminated documents. Make sure documents are not laminated. Visit Mass.Gov/ID for a complete list of acceptable identification documents.
If the name on your current credentials is different than on your birth certificate or other lawful presence document, you must have documentation to prove your name change. This is most commonly a marriage certificate or court document from a city or town (not a religious document).
If you are applying for a REAL ID and need to order a new social security card, you can do so online at https://www.ssa.gov/
If you are using your W-2 form to prove your social security number for a REAL ID, make sure it has your entire social security number on it And not just the last 4 digits. All 9 numbers of the Social Security Number must appear on documents used for proof.
For a complete list of acceptable Social Security Number documents, visit mass.gov/ID
2 documents proving residency are needed for REAL ID – Only 1 needed for Standard
Examples of acceptable documents include: utility bill, bank statement, etc.
For a complete list of acceptable residency documents, visit Mass.Gov/ID
Standard vs. REAL ID
- Decide which license credential you want before you visit a Service Center.
- No one needs REAL ID until May of 2025 when it could be used to fly domestically or enter Federal Buildings. However, if you are willing to carry a passport, you will never need a REAL ID. Visit Mass.Gov/ID for more information on REAL ID requirements.
RMV Service Centers and AAA Branches
- If you are an AAA member you may be able to go to an AAA locations to do select license and registration transactions
- Visit Mass.Gov/RMV/AAA for a list of RMV services AAA offers
- If you have to visit an RMV Service Center, you must make an appointment first.
- Avoid going to an RMV Service Center on Fridays, Mondays, or the day after a holiday. The first and last days of the month are also the busiest days at the RMV.