Types of Referrals to MRC for Students and Youth

Students can be referred to MRC through a school system (Chapter 688) or as a self-referral.

Chapter 688

Students in High School may be eligible for a Chapter 688 referral to MRC services.  High school students with severe disabilities who will need more services from an adult human service agency after leaving school and who benefit from an Individualized Transition Plan (ITP) may be helped by MRC. All students referred under Chapter 688 must be getting special education services, need adult services, have job related goals and be unable to work 20 or more hours per week in competitive, non-sheltered or non-supported employment. Referrals should be made by the Local Education Agency (LEA) within two years of the student’s graduation from high school or turning age 22. 

Individuals who receive SSI or SSDI based on their disability or who are registered with the Commission for the Blind are automatically eligible for Chapter 688 services.

Referrals received after a student leaves the school setting or after age 22 are not eligible for 688 and will be a direct MRC referral.

Direct Referrals to MRC for Non-688 Eligible Students

Students not eligible for 688 can still be referred to MRC for Vocational Rehabilitation Services and other Community Living Services. Students, family members, and school staff can begin the referral process with a phone call or a visit to the local MRC Area Office (links below). There may also be a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor assigned to the student’s high school who can assist with the direct referral process. The MRC direct referral process can begin as early as age 14 or at least 2 years prior to graduation from high school.

Additional Resources

Referrals for Pre-Employment Transition Services

Students aged 14 through 21, up to their 22nd birthday who are in high school and/or post-secondary education or training can access pre-employment transition services through a community vendor. Students can connect directly to the pre-employment transition services provider to start the intake process. Students do not need to apply to Vocational rehabilitation to receive and access the five pre-employment transition services (job exploration counseling, work readiness training, work-based learning experiences, counseling in post-secondary education and self-advocacy). To learn what community provider is in your region ask your local MRC Area Office (links above).

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.