Log in links for this page

Change information on your driver's license or ID card

If you are looking to change information on your driver's license, Mass ID, or Liquor ID you will need to notify the RMV.

Registry of Motor Vehicles


Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

The Details of Change information on your driver's license or ID card

What you need for Change information on your driver's license or ID card

Address change

By law you have to notify the RMV of a change of address within 30 days of moving. This can be done through phone, online, or in-person.

If you are only changing your address, go online and then write the new residential address using permanent ink on the back of the driver's license or ID card in the area provided, or you can have a driver's license/ID issued for $25.

Name change

If you are applying for a REAL ID driver's license or ID card and your current name doesn’t match the one that appears on your lawful presence document(s), you must prove the legal name change with an acceptable document in order to qualify for a REAL ID credential.   A marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document all qualify.

If you are applying for a Standard driver's license or ID card, you may change your name with no documentation as long as there is no attempt to defraud.

You must go to a RMV Service Center to have a new photo and signature captured, and obtain a new driver's license or ID card.

Gender change

If you are changing your gender designation, you will need to fill out an application and bring the completed form to one of our service centers.

Your gender will appear in the 'Sex' field of your credential as either M, F, or X.

Veteran's indicator

Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who were honorably discharged can choose to have the word "Veteran" printed on their MA license or ID card. The veteran's indicator can be added at the time of your license or ID card renewal or when you order a duplicate permit, license, or ID card.

You will need to present a completed license and ID application and one of the following documents to prove eligibility:

  • A DD-214 that indicates honorable discharge; only the long form (full page) is acceptable
  • A DD-215 that indicates honorable discharge
  • An honorable discharge form

Organ donor

When you apply for a Massachusetts driver's license or ID, you will have the opportunity to become an organ and tissue donor. By registering as an organ and tissue donor with the RMV, you will be entered into the Massachusetts Donor Registry, which is legal consent for donation. However, also share your decision to donate with your family and friends so that they know about your decision to become an organ and tissue donor.

Even if you are currently a registered donor, you still need answer "yes" online or on the application you complete in order to remain in the donor registry.

REAL ID or Standard

  1. Decide what type of card you want – a REAL ID driver's license (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts driver's license (not valid for federal purposes). Go to mass.gov/id to decide.

  2. If you want a Standard driver's license, you may be able to complete your renewal online by entering the information from your lawful presence document.

  • If you want a REAL ID driver's license, you will need to visit an RMV Service Center with proof of the required documentation  for
    • Lawful presence (1 document)
      • If your name differs on the lawful presence document, you must also provide proof of the legal name change
    • Social Security number (1 document)
    • Massachusetts residency (2 documents)
  1. Complete your application online
  2. Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center

Fees for Change information on your driver's license or ID card

Name Fee Unit
Driver's License/ID Amendment Fee $25 each

How to change Change information on your driver's license or ID card

Change your address and organ donor status information online. You will need to provide your:

  • Last name
  • Date of birth
  • Driver's license, learner's permit, or ID number
  • Last 4 digits of your Social Security number 

Call the RMV's contact center for an address change, where an RMV representative will change your information.

(857) 368-8000 
From area codes 339, 617, 781, and 857, or from outside Massachusetts

(800) 858-3926
From all other Massachusetts area codes

TTY: (877) 768-8833
For people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing (in Massachusetts)

You may also order a duplicate driver's license or ID card if you want your card to reflect the change.

Bring the completed application, along with all proper documentation and fees to an RMV Service Center.

Contact for Change information on your driver's license or ID card

Ask the RMV Ask the RMV