- Division of Ecological Restoration
DER is seeking proposals from Massachusetts municipalities interested in replacing an undersized, perched, and/or degraded culvert located in an area of high ecological value. Total funding available in FY19 is anticipated to be $750,000. The purpose of this funding is to encourage municipalities to replace culverts with better designed crossings that meet improved structural and environmental design standards and climate resiliency criteria. Only projects that intend to meet the goals of the Massachusetts Stream Crossing Standards will be considered for funding.
Incorporating these Standards into culvert design will improve river function and access for fish and wildlife, and will reduce hazards to public safety, such as flooding, culvert failure, and road washout. Massachusetts municipalities are eligible to apply for funding to support advancement of one culvert replacement project toward completion. Interested communities should view the full announcement, including eligibility and evaluation criteria.
The PRE-Request For Responses (RFR) period, February 12, 2018 to March 12, 2018, provides a preview of the RFR that DER will issue March 12, 2018. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Carrie Banks to discuss possible projects during this period.
The RFR will be released at 3PM on March 12, 2018. The application deadline is 5PM, April 6, 2018.
Applicants are encouraged to attend a Grant Briefing to learn more about this funding opportunity. During Grant Briefings, Carrie Banks will explain the Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant Program, answer questions, and be available to meet one-on-one with municipalities to discuss proposed projects. Grant Briefing dates, times, and locations are listed below. Attendees should RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-579-3015 in case of inclement weather and the briefings either need to be canceled or postponed.
- February 23, 8:30 AM-10:30 AM, Southeast Regional Planning and Economic Development District at 88 Broadway, Taunton
- February 23, 1:00 PM-3:00 PM, Cape Cod Commission at 3225 Main Street, Barnstable
- February 27, 1:00 PM-3:00 PM, Department of Fish & Game, 251 Causeway Street, Boston
- March 1, 9:00 AM-11:00 AM, Auburn Town Hall, 104 Central St, Auburn (Hosted by Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission)
- March 5, 8:30 AM- 10:30 AM, Pioneer Valley Planning Commission, 60 Congress Street, Springfield
- March 5, 1:00 PM- 3:00 PM, Franklin Regional Council of Governments at 12 Olive Street, Suite 2, Greenfield
- March 7, 9:00 AM-11:00 AM, Merrimack Valley Planning Commission, 160 Main Street, Haverhill
*** UPDATED *** March 9, 9:00 AM-11:00 AM, MassDOT District 1 Office, 270 Main St, Lenox (Hosted by Berkshire Regional Planning Commission)