Key Dates for the Entry-level Exam
Written Examination Date: March 25, 2017
Application Deadline: February 21, 2017*
Notices to Appear for Written Exam Sent: March 10, 2017
Score Release Date: August 9, 2017
Employment/Experience (E/E) Last Day to Appeal: August 26, 2017
List Established Date: September 1, 2017
Written Examination Fee:
Municipal and MBTA Transit OR State Trooper $100*
Municipal, MBTA Transit Police AND State Trooper $150*
Location: Various Sites across the state
Eligibility: Entry-level, open to public
*There is an additional $50 late fee for applications received after February 21, 2017. Applications will NOT be accepted after March 1, 2017.
Additional Resources for Key Dates for the Entry-level Exam
To Apply for the examination
If you have not already applied for the exam, you will receive instructions from the Military Makeup Exam Coordinator
Additional Resources for To Apply for the examination
Please update your account and ensure that your email address is up to date.
Once the eligible list is established you may see your rankings here: 2017 Police Officer
The following are general steps in the hiring process for Municipal Police Officer positions:
- Police Department contacts Civil Service Unit for list of eligible candidates.
- Based on number of vacancies the Civil Service Unit releases a group of candidates to the Police Department for consideration. All parties are contacted by email.
- Police Department begins the hiring process which may include the following;
* Candidate fills out extensive employment packet
* Background investigation
Once a candidate receives a conditional offer, the following steps are for all candidates;
* Medical exam
* Initial-Hire Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
Police Departments send candidates to the Police Academy for further training. Please contact those departments you are interested in for more information.
For information on State Trooper, please visit Massachusetts State Police.