Students under the age of 18 must have written consent from a parent or guardian to attend these courses. A parent or guardian should be present at the start of the student's class to complete the student's registration form or the student can bring a signed form with them to the start of their course.
All courses are free of charge and open to the public.
Map, Compass, & Survival courses
Map, Compass, & Survival courses are offered in the towns of Westminster and Pittsfield between April and October. This course is not recommended for students under 12 years of age.
There are currently no Map, Compass, and Survival courses scheduled. When courses become available, details will be listed here.
Black Powder Education courses
There are currently no Black Powder Education courses scheduled. When courses become available, details will be listed here.
Waterfowl Identification & Hunting courses
There are currently no Waterfowl Identification & Hunting courses scheduled. When courses become available, details will be listed here.
What should students bring to class?
- Students should bring plenty to drink and eat including snacks, and a bagged lunch.
- Students should dress for comfort and for the weather. Courses include both classroom and outdoor activities and students should expect to be outside for part of the class - rain or shine.
- Students enrolled in a Map, Compass, and Survival course will spend a lot of time outside in the woods practicing map and compass skills. We recommend wearing comfortable footwear (i.e. hiking or running shoes), long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and bright outer clothing. Students should also carry insect repellent, sunscreen, and water with them while in the woods and, if available, a whistle.
Tips for finding a course
- Visit this page often from March through October when these types of courses are offered.
- Provide your contact information and we will notify you when courses are scheduled.