Bowhunter Education is not required in Massachusetts and a Bowhunter education certificate does not qualify a person to purchase a Massachusetts Hunting or Sporting License. To see if you already qualify for a Massachusetts Hunting or Sporting license, please visit MassFishHunt or read more at "Who needs a hunting license, permits, and stamps?"
Upon successful completion of the Massachusetts Bowhunter Education course, graduates are mailed a certificate of completion. This certificate is recognized in many other jurisdictions that do mandate the successful completion a bowhunter course. Many states near Massachusetts do require proof of a Bowhunter Education course - if you are planning to hunt outside of Massachusetts, make sure you do your research.
All courses are FREE of charge and open to the public.
Bowhunter education course schedule
There are NO Bowhunter Education courses scheduled at this time.
What should students bring to class?
- Plenty to drink or a reusable bottle.
- A bagged lunch (not all facilities are located near food options).
- The course may include outdoor activities - please dress accordingly.
- Unaccompanied minors (students under 18 who are attending a course without a parent or legal guardian) must bring a signed permission form.
You do NOT need to bring any archery equipment.
Can't find an open course?
- Sign up for course notifications. You will be notified when a course opens for enrollment in your general area.
- Keep checking the above listing for new courses. This site is updated as soon as new courses are available to students.
- Consider taking the Bowhunter Education course in a nearby state. Many other states allow non-residents to enroll in their courses.
Remember, a Bowhunter Education course is NOT required in Massachusetts and cannot be taken in place of a Basic Hunter Education course.