Under MGL, Chapter 90, Section 10 , all foreign licensed drivers are subject to the following requirements when operating a vehicle in Massachusetts:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license when operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.
- May operate a motor vehicle in Massachusetts of the same type in which licensed to operate in any other state or country.
- Must have either an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an acceptable alternative document if the foreign license is not in English or does not have an English translation.
- Must not be suspended or revoked.
For more information on International Driving Permits (IDP) and how to obtain one, visit https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/.
Appendix A of Driver's Manual
'Appendix A' of the February 2018 version of the Massachusetts Driver’s Manual is no longer applicable.
The RMV is in the process of updating the online version of the manual and will be posted soon.
Avoid International License Scams
Individuals or organizations use the Internet to sell documents as 'International Driver Licenses' and 'International Driving Permits' that imply driving privileges. The Registrar does not recognize a document labeled as an 'International Driver License', 'International Driving Permit' or any other document that allegedly confers driving privileges.