More about:

Find out if you're eligible to request an abuse prevention order

If you are being abused or harassed, you may be able to request a restraining order

When can I ask for an abuse prevention order?

An abuse prevention order is limited to someone with whom you have a specific types of relationship (family, intimate, residential). You cannot get an abuse prevention order against any person you wish.

You may ask for an abuse prevention order ("209A Order") from a judge if:

1. The person abusing you is:

  • A person to whom you are or were married,
  • Someone with whom you are or were living,
  • A family member related by blood or marriage,
  • The parent of your child even if you were never married, or
  • Someone with whom you are or have been in a serious dating relationship

2. and you are suffering from abuse because your abuser has:

  • Harmed or attempted to harm you physically,
  • Caused you to fear that you are likely to be physically hurt at any moment, or
  • Forced you to have sex or threatened you into having sex

If you are being abused by someone who is not in one of the categories listed above, see Harassment prevention orders.

Additional Resources for When can I ask for an abuse prevention order?


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think