Find out who can file an Application for a Child Requiring Assistance

Learn about who can start a Child Requiring Assistance (CRA) case and what can be reported in the application.

A CRA court case is started by filing an Application for a Child Requiring Assistance. There are 2 types of applications that can be filed depending on who's filing.

A parent, legal guardian, or custodian with custody of the child can file an application stating that the child is:

  • A runaway who repeatedly runs away from the home of the parent, legal guardian, or custodian
  • A stubborn child who doesn't obey lawful and reasonable commands of the parent, legal guardian, or custodian, which interferes with their ability to care for the child

Additional Resources

Someone representing the school district

A person who represents the school district your child attends can file an application stating that your child is:

  • A habitual truant who doesn't attend school for more than 8 days in a quarter without a proper excuse
  • A habitual school offender who doesn't obey the lawful and reasonable commands of the school

Additional Resources


Tell us what you think