File with the complaint form
The following must be filed with this complaint:
- Certified copy of civil marriage certificate.
- R-408 - Certificate of Absolute Divorce or Annulment Statistical Information form. (See G.L. c.208, Section 6B ) Please complete items #1 through #10B. Please type or write neatly. Do not leave fields blank. If the field cannot be completed (e.g. number of prior marriages is unknown), place dashes ("---") in the field to indicate it is deliberately left blank.
- Affidavit of Care and Custody if parties have children together (form available at the courthouse).
- Allegations in Paragraph 5 must comply with G.L. c.207, Sections 1 and 2 and Massachusetts Rules of Domestic Relations Procedure Rule 8.
See the Probate and Family Court filing fees for applicable filing fees.
Service of complaint
Service of complaint on defendant is to be made in accordance with Massachusetts Rules of Domestic Relations Procedure Rule 4.
View this financial statements page for additional information, including the financial statement (short form) and instructions, and the financial statement (long form) and instructions.
Child Support Guidelines Worksheet
To be used if support for child(ren) is requested.
Additional Resources for Child Support Guidelines Worksheet
- All requests for temporary relief must be made by motion, although several requests may be combined. For temporary restraining orders, see Massachusetts Rules of Domestic Relations Procedure Rule 65, affidavit requirement.
- If attachment or trustee process is desired, a motion with affidavit must be filed. A certificate of insurance is normally not required in domestic relations cases. See Massachusetts Rules of Domestic Relations Procedure Rules 4.1 and 4.2.
- All parties to a divorce action in which there is/are minor child(ren) are required to attend and participate in an approved Parent Education Program unless the requirement is waived by the court. See Probate and Family Court Standing Order 2-16.
- Each party to a divorce action shall deliver to the other within 45 days from date of service of summons, specific financial documents. See Supplemental Probate Rule 410.
- An automatic restraining order applies to both parties in a complaint for divorce. It prohibits either party from engaging in any action which changes the present financial status of the parties.
Uniform Counsel Certification
Attorneys are required to file a Uniform Counsel Certification.