The Massachusetts Lead Paint Removal Tax Credit
Letter of full deleading compliance:
With this letter, you are eligible for a State Tax Credit equal to the cost of the deleading expenses, or $1,500, whichever is less.
Letter of interim control
With this letter you are eligible for a State Tax Credit of up to $500. This $500 amount applies toward the $1,500 limit.
For more information on this program, contact the Department of Revenue.
Get the Lead Out
This program provides low cost financing to owners of 1-4 family properties to remove lead paint.
The maximum loan amounts are:
- Single-family $30,000
- 2-family $35,000
- 3-family $40,000
- 4-family $45,000
Loans for residents:
- For owner-occupants who meet the income guidelines, 0% deferred payment loans are available.
These loans are not due until the sale, transfer or refinancing of the property.
Loans for non-profits and investor owners:
- For non-profit organizations with properties that are being rented to income eligible households, 0% fully amortizing loans are available.
- For investor organizations with properties that are being rented to income eligible households, 3% fully amortizing loans are available.
These loan terms run from 5-20 years, based on the size of the loan and borrower qualifications.
To find an agency that can assist you with this loan, go to the Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency.
HUD Lead Hazard Programs
These federally funded local programs are designed to assist property owners with the cost of lead paint abatement in eligible properties. Income and rental restrictions may apply. Please see individual programs for more information.
- City of Boston
Lead Safe Boston
- City of Malden
Malden Redevelopment Authority Healthy Homes
- City of Worcester
Worcester Lead Abatement Program
- City of Brockton
Brockton Redevelopment Authority
- City of Quincy
Quincy Lead Abatement Program
- City of Lynn
Lead Abatement & Healthy Homes
- City of Springfield
City of Springfield Office of Housing
- City of New Bedford
Lead Paint Reimbursement Program
- City of Lawrence
Lawrence Lead Abatement Program
The Home Improvement Loan Program (HILP)
This program offers low interest loans to delead owner-occupied 1-4 family homes and residential condominiums. These must have been the borrower's principal residence for a minimum of one year.
Important aspects of this program:
- Loans range from $7,500 to $50,000 per home
- Loan terms range from 5 to 15 years
- This program can complement the "Get the Lead Out" program by funding work that exceeds the "Get The Lead Out" maximum loan
- Income limits vary by area
You will not be reimbursed for work started before the loan closing.
To find an agency that can assist you with this loan, go to the Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency and click on Home Ownership.
HUD 203(K) Program
This program helps current homeowners and investor-owners refinance their mortgage to pay for deleading costs.
Important aspects of this program:
- Prospective buyers can finance deleading costs through a single loan that includes their new mortgage
- Only 1-4 family homes are eligible
- A least $5,000 in repairs must be performed
- This program is capable of financing major deleading jobs because the loan amount is based upon the after-rehab value
- 203(K) also provides an opportunity to renovate a home and perform other major and minor repairs
Call the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for a list of participating lenders.
Local Public Programs
Financing for deleading may be available at your local office of Community Development, Planning or Rehabilitation. These offices are normally located at the City/Town Hall.
Programs they may offer include:
- Community Development Block Grant Program
- HOME Investment Partnership Program
- The Get The Lead Out Program
- The Home Improvement Loan Program (some agents serve more than one community)
Programs Offered by Local Lenders
Some local banks or lending institutions offer loan assistance for various lead removal rehabilitation projects. These loans can often be:
- Deleading Assistance Programs
- Home Equity Loans
- Home Improvement Loans
- Mortgage Refinancing
- Purchase and Rehab Mortgages