Log in links for this page

Learn about Small-Scale Raw Milk Transportation

This webpage outlines options and guidance for transporting your milk directly to a processor.

The transport of milk in Massachusetts is regulated under the Division of Animal Health within the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources.  

Contacting Your Regional Inspector

The first step is to talk to the Animal Health, Dairy Inspector in your region about the container you use for transporting the raw milk from the dairy to the processing site: 



Contact Information​

Jessica Edwards​

Dairy Inspector, Sampling Surveillance Officer

Worcester (eastern section), Middlesex, Essex, Norfolk, Plymouth, and Dukes.


Sheila Phelon​

Dairy Inspector, Sampling Surveillance Officer

Central Worcester County to New York border, South of Mass Pike from Northbridge to the NY/CT border


Additional Resources for

Licensing and Regulations – Key Points

  • A farm must hold a valid Certification of Registration from the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources in order for a bulk milk hauler to collect milk from the farm to a milk plant, receiving station, or transfer station. 

  • MDAR’s Division of Animal Health regulates the transportation of milk. Key regulatory documents include: 

    • The Milk Hauler’s Manual outlines guidance and procedures on the collection of bulk milk at the farm and delivery to the processing plant.  

    • Milk Tank Truck, Hauler Report and Sampler Evaluation Form is used during inspection of any transport method of raw milk in Massachusetts 

    • For more in-depth questions, contact Division of Animal Health inspectors, and consult 330 CMR 27.00 and 330 CMR 28.00 

  • Food grade, impervious, seamless tank, cans, or totes used for transportation needs must conform to over-the-road regulations, contain a milk transfer pump, and be cleaned with an approved cleaning procedure. See Milk Haulers Manual. 

  • The truck used to transport milk must hold a Tank Permit provided after completion and approval of the Milk Tank Truck Inspection See  Milk Tank Truck Evaluation Form. 

  • Each driver must be a licensed Hauler/Sampler, which is a certification offered by MDAR’s Division of Animal Health.  

  • Milk needs to be tested either by a BTU (i.e. a cooperative like Agrimark or DFA), if any milk is shipped to a BTU the hauler will get this sample or the milk must be tested once a month minimum by MDAR dairy inspector.  

  • If milk is picked up at other farms it must be sampled and comply with 330 CMR 27.00 and 330 CMR 28.00.

  • NOTE: A bulk milk hauler shall not collect milk from any dairy farm in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for delivery to a milk plant, receiving station or transfer station unless such farm holds a valid Certification of Registration from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as issued by the Department of Agricultural Resources.   

Additional Resources for

Options for Transporting Raw Milk to Off-site Processor

Farmers and processors have several options for transporting raw milk to be processed. Some of these options are outlined in the resources below.