Instructions for Master license exam application
Instructions for Master license exam application
- Please read all instructions and download the Exam Information Bulletin from the website before starting your online application for a Master Sheet Metal Worker License. This is an application for a Master license M-1 (un-restricted) and M-2 (restricted) status. To apply for the Master exam, applicants must have a current/valid Massachusetts Journeyperson sheet metal license, be of good moral character and have completed a 40-hour master course. Your application must include a recent 2” x 2” color passport photo. For a full list of all application requirements, please refer to the Application Checklist shown below.
- You may apply and pay online using the ePLACE Portal. First, you will need to register and create an account on the ePLACE Portal. This will allow you to apply for licenses, make online payments, apply for permits, renew your license, and update your contact information through your online account. Click here for instructions on creating an ePLACE Portal account and applying for a license.
- Applicants will need to carefully read items # 4 and # 5 below and be sure to select the appropriate exam on the application form. If you have any questions, contact the Board before submitting the application online. Incomplete applications will only remain open for 180 days after which a new application and fee is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-727-4454 for information.
- To qualify for the M-1 unrestricted master license exam you must have a Massachusetts J-1 unrestricted journeyperson license and have completed a 40-hour Master’s course from a Board approved training program or an equivalent 3-credit Business course conducted by a college or university. You must contact the Board for approval of any equivalent business course prior to application. Please upload a copy of your certificate of completion or transcripts.
- To qualify for the M-2 restricted master license exam you must have a Massachusetts journeyperson license (J-1 or J-2) and have completed a 40-hour Master’s course from a Board approved training program or an equivalent 3-credit Business course conducted by a college or university. You must contact the Board for approval of any equivalent business course prior to application. Please upload a copy of your certificate of completion or transcripts. Restricted license is limited to residential dwellings 3-stories or less and commercial projects 10,000 square feet or less within buildings 2-stories or less.
- Master applicants that have out of state, out of country or other non-Board approved sheet metal training, education or work experience should contact the Board office for the requirements on applying for approval to take the master exam.
- Successful candidates may also maintain their current journeyperson license or may choose to change their journeyperson license status from Current to Upgraded by answering the appropriate question on the application.
- Candidates that fail an examination will have 6 months from the application approval date to successfully retake the examination; otherwise candidates will need to submit a new application.
- Candidates that have not successfully passed the exam after three attempts shall provide satisfactory proof to the board of having successfully completed self-designed learning objectives or successful completion of an examination preparation course.
- If you are ineligible for a Social Security Number, contact the Board for instructions.
- Please note the personal or business address that you choose as your mailing address is public record and will be released to anyone upon request.
- If you have been convicted of a crime you must list all offenses inclusive of OUI, DUI, and Operating after/with suspended license or registration. Dispositions of “continued without finding” (“CWOF”) or “admission to sufficient of facts” must also be reported. Do not include minor traffic offense(s).
- Please upload your notarized CORI authorization form. All forms are available on the Board website.
- In order to submit your application after you have completed it, you will be required to submit a payment online for $175.00 in U.S. funds from a U.S. based account. Be advised, this fee is not refundable. Please note that your application cannot be submitted online without the correct fee. The fee includes both application processing and your first license.
- The exam vendor (PSI) will contact you when your application is approved to sit for the exam. Scheduling of your exam and payment of the exam fee will be handled directly through the exam vendor.
- A current/valid Massachusetts Journeyperson Sheet Metal Worker license
- Must upload a 2” x 2” color passport photo
- Upload certificates of completion from 40-hour master course
- Must upload the “CORI Authorization Form”
- Must pay $175.00 non-refundable application / license fee payable in U.S. funds from a U.S. based account