Instructions for Master license exam application
- Please download the Exam Information Bulletin from the website and read all instructions before starting your application. This is an application for a master license M-1 (un-restricted) and M-2 (restricted) status. To apply for the Master exam you must have a Massachusetts Journeyperson sheet metal license, be of good moral character and have completed a 40-hour master course. Your application must include a recent 2” x 2” color passport photo.
- You may print and mail in a copy of this application or you can apply and pay on-line. We recommend that you open an on-line account using the Massachusetts E-Licensing and E-Permitting Portal. Accella Citizen Access account with the Division of Professional Licensure. This will allow you to apply for licenses, make on-line payments, apply for permits, renew your license and update your contact information through your on-line account.
- Applicants will need to carefully read items # 4 and # 5 below and be sure to select the appropriate exam on the application form. If you have any questions, contact the Board before sending the application. Incomplete applications will only remain open for 180 days after which a new application and fee is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-727-4454 for information.
- To qualify for the M-1unrestricted master license exam you must have a Massachusetts J-1 unrestricted journeyperson license and have completed a 40-hour Master’s course from a Board approved training program or an equivalent 3-credit Business course conducted by a college or university. You must contact the Board for approval of any equivalent business course prior to application. Please mail or upload a copy of your certificate of completion or transcripts.
- To qualify for the M-2 restricted master license exam you must have a Massachusetts journeyperson license (J-1 or J-2) and have completed a 40-hour Master’s course from a Board approved training program or an equivalent 3-credit Business course conducted by a college or university. You must contact the Board for approval of any equivalent business course prior to application. Please mail or upload a copy of your certificate of completion or transcripts. Restricted license is limited to residential dwellings 3-stories or less and commercial projects 10,000 square feet or less within buildings 2-stories or less.
- Master applicants that have out of state, out of country or other non-Board approved sheet metal training, education or work experience should contact the Board office for the requirements on applying for approval to take the master exam.
- Successful candidates may also maintain their current journeyperson or may choose to change their journeyperson license status from current to upgraded by answering the appropriate question on the application.
- Candidates that fail an examination will have 6 months from the application approval date to successfully retake the examination; otherwise candidates will need to submit a new application.
- Candidates that have not successfully passed the exam after three attempts shall provide satisfactory proof to the board of having successfully completed self-designed learning objectives or successful completion of an examination preparation course.
- If you are ineligible for a Social Security Number, contact the Board for instructions.
- Please note the personal or business address that you choose as your mailing address is public record and will be released to anyone upon request.
- If you have been convicted of a crime you must list all offenses inclusive of OUI, DUI, and Operating after/with suspended license or registration. Dispositions of “continued without finding” (“CWOF”) or “admission to sufficient of facts” must also be reported. Do not include minor traffic offense(s).
- Please mail or upload a copy of your CORI authorization form available in the Board website.
- Please submit payment on-line or send a check or money order for $175.00 in U.S. funds made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the fee is not refundable. Please note that your application will not be processed without the correct fee. The fee includes both application processing and your first license.
- The exam vendor (PSI) will contact you when your application is approved. Scheduling of your exam and payment of the exam fee will be handled directly through the exam vendor.
I have included a 2” x 2” color passport photo
I have included certificates of completion from 40-hour master course
I have included the “CORI Authorization Form”
I have included the $ 175.00 non-refundable application / license fee payable to the “Commonwealth of Massachusetts”