About the Fund
The Marine Recreational Fisheries Development Fund finances recreational fishing improvement programs administered by DMF. All fees collected from the sale of recreational saltwater fishing permits are deposited in the Fund. The Commonwealth can also accept gifts or grants and place them into the Fund.
The Marine Recreational Fisheries Development Panel helps DMF in crafting annual spending plans from the Fund.
Some of the activities supported by the Fund are:
- Providing anglers with public access to saltwater fishing opportunities
- Monitoring, stocking, and improving the passage of diadromous fish stocks
- Development of our Saltwater Angler Education Program, offering fishing clinics and seminars, and distribution of informational materials
- Recreational catch and effort data collection through the Marine Recreational Information Program
- Planning, siting, and monitoring of artificial reefs