Overview of Welcome Family
Welcome Family offers a universal one-time nurse home visit to all mothers with newborns, regardless of age, income, risk, or prior birthing experience. The goal is to serve as an entry point into the system of care for families with newborns in Massachusetts.
Welcome Family is available in Boston, Fall River, Lowell, Holyoke, and Springfield. The visit is offered up to 8 weeks postpartum. It is conducted by an experienced maternal and child health nurse and lasts approximately 90 minutes.
Mothers are the primary target population but any caregiver is eligible, including fathers, grandparents, adoptive, and foster parents.
Research suggests that the Welcome Family model will improve health and developmental outcomes including:
- Reduced risk for infant hospital readmission
- Increased rates of breastfeeding
- Increased well-child visit attendance
- Increased postpartum visit attendance
- Increased identification of families needing services
- Increased connections to clinical and community services
- Reduced stigma about home visiting
Welcome Family programs
To make a referral to Welcome Family or for more information, please contact a Welcome Family program.