Eviction Help Request Form

If you reached this page looking for the Attorney General’s Office “Eviction Help Request Form,” that form no longer exists. However, if you have an eviction or need help with a housing-related problem, we may still be able to help.

Eviction Help at the AGO

The Consumer Advocacy and Response Division (“CARD”) of the Attorney General’s Office offers a free consumer assistance service. Tenants with complaints against their landlords may be eligible for consumer assistance services. Consumer assistance is free and voluntary for both the tenant and landlord. However, the AGO cannot provide you with legal advice or act as your attorney.

If you have a complaint against your landlord: file a consumer complaint online.

If you’ve been locked out of your unit by your landlord without court process, please call our consumer hotline at 617-727-8400.

Legal Help for an Eviction

If you have an upcoming court date related to an eviction, it’s important to seek legal help right away. The AGO cannot act as your attorney or represent you in court. You can find information about how to get legal help here.  

Most eviction matters take place in the Housing Court.  If you have a question about an upcoming court date you can reach the Housing Court through its virtual font counter where you can speak to court staff.  Please keep in mind that court staff cannot provide you with legal advice. 

Many courts also offer Lawyer for the Day services however these services are often limited to one or two days per week. The dates and times they are available vary by court. Lawyer for the Day services are also “first come, first serve,” so be sure to arrive early if you plan to use these services. You can learn more about the Lawyer for the Day Program here

Help with Unsafe or Unsanitary Conditions in Your Apartment

The State Sanitary Code protects the public by providing minimum standards for housing and procedures for local boards of health to enforce violations of the code.  If the property you are renting is in disrepair, unsafe, unsanitary, or has a pest problem, please contact your local board of health. 

If you’re unable to resolve the problem through your local board of health, you may also file a consumer complaint.

Help Paying the Rent

If you’re struggling to pay your rent, help may be available. 

If you need help right away, apply for emergency housing assistance through the Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) program. Applications for RAFT are processed through the Emergency Housing Payment Assistance Portal.  You can find information about eligibility and apply for RAFT here

For other assistance, such as long-term vouchers, including Section 8, or applying for fuel assistance, contact the Regional Administering Agency for your town.  You can locate the agency for your town here

You can also find more information about Emergency and Long-term housing help from the Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities, here.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.