This page explains online applications of the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
Guide DOR E-File Information
Table of Contents
E-filing information for individual taxpayers
- This page includes links to all of the commercial software products approved by Massachusetts for e-filing.
- Locate the closest Authorized IRS and State e-file Providers in your area where you can electronically file your tax return.
E-filing information for tax professionals
- This section includes links to all personal income and corporate professional software packages approved by Massachusetts for e-filing.
- With proper authority, you can file and pay your client's 1-ES. This system provides an instant receipt of return and payment. In addition, you can view your client's filing and payment history online to verify payments prior to filing to minimize delays in processing.
E-filing Information for software developers
E-filing and payment requirements
- Access information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Submit and amend returns
- Personal income tax returns cannot be filed through MassTaxConnect. Check out the free filing options.
- Make payments or set up payment plans
- Send and receive secure messages with attachments and view DOR letters and notices
- Allow 3rd party (tax professionals) access to your account.
For questions regarding MassTaxConnect, please go to MassTaxConnect FAQs.
Additional Resources for About MassTaxConnect
E-Filing Options Using Commercial Software
For Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments
If your software package supports amended returns, prior year returns or estimated payments, they can be submitted to DOR as indicated below. In addition to submitting estimated payments through tax preparation software, they can be made securely through MassTaxConnect.
|Tax Year||Individual Income||Corporate||Fiduciary||Partnership||Nonresident Composite|
|2017||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns and Amended Returns|
|2016||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments
||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns and Amended Returns|
|2015||Original Returns||Original Returns, Amended Returns, and Estimated Payments||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns|
|2014||N/A||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns and Amended Returns||Original Returns|
Estimated tax payments can be made during the tax year and up until the tax return due date for that year. Estimated payments for the upcoming year can be made as of January 1 of that year.
What you can and can't do on MassTaxConnect
What you can do on MassTaxConnect
- File original and amended returns (except PIT)
- Make payments: estimated, bill, extension & return
- Request a payment plan
- Choose a credit card or debit payment
- E-message DOR securely, and include attachments
- View notices, and all DOR communications
- Request/assign third party access
- Manage access to client accounts
- Close an account
- Check refund status
- Amend a previously filed return
- Dispute penalty or audit
- Process license and decal requests
- Request Certificate of Good Standing
- Edit profile information
What you can't do on MassTaxConnect
- File personal income tax returns
The difference between POA and third party
A power of attorney is required if the representative is seeking to act on behalf of a taxpayer and requesting that the Department disclose information contained in tax returns and other documentation. This may include executing waivers and offers of waivers of restrictions on assessments or collection of deficiencies in taxes, and waivers of notice of disallowance of a claim for credit or refund. A client may designate a third party on MassTaxConnect to file, pay, amend tax returns, and conduct work on their behalf.
No Staples or Paper Clips
First, we recommend filing on MassTaxConnect or through vendor software. It’s fast and easy and provides calculation assistance, instant satisfaction, and an electronic confirmation. If you file on paper, enclose any documents. Don’t attach them with staples or paper clips. It will slow down the processing of your return.
Page updated: February18, 2021