E-filing and paying online is fast, safe, accurate, and provides electronic confirmation.
90% of taxpayers e-file their Massachusetts personal income tax return and receive their refund faster than if filed by paper.
Listed on this page are options you may have to e-file your personal income tax return — including:
- Vendors affiliated with the Free File Alliance Program
- Vendor approved self-prepared software.
Please note: DOR does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software vendor.
The following returns are due on or before April 18, 2023:
- 2022 Form 1: Massachusetts Resident Income Tax Return
- 2022 Form 1-NR/PY: Massachusetts Nonresident/Part-Year Tax Return
- 2022 Form 2: Fiduciary Income Tax Return
Go to DOR Tax Due Dates and Extensions for more information.
Free e-file options: See if you qualify (tax year 2022)
The following vendors have provided qualifying Massachusetts taxpayers with an offer to e-file for free through the Free File Alliance program.
It’s important that you use the links listed to connect you to the free software option.
1040NOW Online Tax Preparation
Free federal and MA tax preparation & e-file for all who live in MA with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $32,000 or less. This offer is limited to three (3) free tax returns per computer.
TaxHawk, Inc 2022 Free File Alliance Offer
TaxHawk, Inc. intends to participate in the Massachusetts Free File program for TY 2022 with our FreeTaxUSA.com software product. We will be offering free electronic preparation and filing services for both Federal and Massachusetts tax returns to eligible Massachusetts taxpayers. For a taxpayer to be eligible to use our free services, they will need to meet the following requirements:
• AGI is $41,000 or less
Online Taxes at OLT.com
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if one of the below is true:
The OLT Free File website must be accessed through the link above.
At least one of the following must apply to you in order to qualify.
E-file and pay with MassTaxConnect
Fillable forms are no longer available. If you used fillable forms in the past, you may use MassTaxConnect to file for free.
Do you need help filing your return in MassTaxConnect?
The guidelines will walk you through the steps. There is also a video tutorial.
You can use this free option if you have:
- Been a Massachusetts resident for the entire tax year and
- Filed a Massachusetts return in the past completing schedules seen in the guidelines.
If you can’t e-file with MassTaxConnect, you may still be able to use:
- You are required to file a Massachusetts Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Form 1-NR/PY), or
- You have to complete a schedule not listed in the guidelines.
If you can’t make your personal income tax payment in full, pay as much as you can with your tax return.
Tax payments can be made on MasstaxConnect with:
- Your credit card (for a fee) or
- ACH debit from checking or savings account.
If you are not registered for MassTaxConnect but need to make a payment:
- Go to MassTaxConnect
- Under "Quick Links" select “Make a Payment”
- Select “Individual Payment Type” and select "Next"
- Enter your SSN or ITIN and phone number (in case we need to contact you about this payment)
- Choose the type of tax payment you want to make and select "Next".
- Choose the amount you want to pay and your payment method and select "Next".
- Review your payment and select "Submit".
Estimated tax payments
Individuals and businesses can make estimated tax payments electronically through MassTaxConnect.
For more information visit DOR Estimated Tax Payments.
Approved self-prepared e-filing options (tax year 2022)
The following vendors were approved by DOR for individually prepared tax returns.
Please note: Some of these vendors offer free services (if you qualify) not affiliated with the Free File Alliance Program.
If you do not see a vendor listed, kindly contact them directly.
What you need to e-file and pay
When preparing to e-file your tax return or make a payment, you will need some or all of the following:
E-file a return
Make a payment
You can choose from several different payment options:
You will need the following:
If you have to file and/or pay on paper, visit the Current tax filing season overview page.
Tax Department: Contact Center hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- (617) 887-6367 or
- (800) 392-6089 (toll-free in Massachusetts).
For more ways to connect, visit Contact DOR.
Do you have a question about your tax account?
If you are registered, log in to your MassTaxConnect account and send DOR a secure e-message.
Do you need to register with MassTaxConnect?
On the upper right-hand side of MassTaxConnect's home screen:
- Select Sign Up
- Select Create My Logon.
You may also register by clicking on Register a new taxpayer under Quick Links.
Do you need to change this page's language?
Visit How to Translate a Website, Webpage, or Document into the Language You Want.
- Current Tax Filing Season Overview
- Check the Status of Your MA Income Tax Refund
- Who must file a state personal income tax return
- Amend a Massachusetts Individual or Business Tax Return
- Find a tax professional to help with your taxes
- Set up a payment agreement
- Massachusetts DOR Estimated Tax Payments
- File an extension
- Translate a website, webpage, or document