E-filing and paying online is fast, safe, accurate, and provides electronic confirmation.
90% of taxpayers e-file their Massachusetts personal income tax return and receive their refund faster than if filed by paper.
Listed on this page are options you may have to e-file your personal income tax return — including:
- Vendors affiliated with the Free File Alliance Program
- Vendor approved self-prepared software.
Please note: DOR does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software vendor.
The following Massachusetts tax returns are due on or before April 16, 2023:
- 2023 Form 1: Massachusetts Resident Income Tax Return
- 2023 Form 1-NR/PY: Massachusetts Nonresident/Part-Year Tax Return
- 2023 Form 2: Fiduciary Income Tax Return
Go to DOR Tax Due Dates and Extensions for more information.
Coming soon - Free e-file options: See if you qualify (tax year 2023)
Tax Year 2023 free e-file options are coming soon.
For more information, watch our video on Free E-file Options here.
E-file and pay with MassTaxConnect
Fillable forms are no longer available. If you used fillable forms in the past, you may use MassTaxConnect to file for free.
Do you need help filing your return in MassTaxConnect?
You can use this free option if you have:
- Been a Massachusetts resident for the entire tax year and
- Filed a Massachusetts return in the past completing schedules seen in the guidelines.
If you can’t e-file with MassTaxConnect, you may still be able to use:
- You are required to file a Massachusetts Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Form 1-NR/PY), or
- You have to complete a schedule not listed in the guidelines.
If you can’t make your personal income tax payment in full, pay as much as you can with your tax return.
Tax payments can be made on MasstaxConnect with:
- Your credit card (for a fee) or
- ACH debit from checking or savings account.
If you are not registered for MassTaxConnect but need to make a payment:
- Go to MassTaxConnect
- Under "Quick Links" select “Make a Payment”
- Select “Individual Payment Type” and select "Next"
- Enter your SSN or ITIN and phone number (in case we need to contact you about this payment)
- Choose the type of tax payment you want to make and select "Next".
- Choose the amount you want to pay and your payment method and select "Next".
- Review your payment and select "Submit".
Estimated tax payments
Individuals and businesses can make estimated tax payments electronically through MassTaxConnect.
For more information visit DOR Estimated Tax Payments.
Coming soon - Approved self-prepared e-filing options (tax year 2023)
Tax Year 2023 approved self-prepared e-filing options are coming soon.
What you need to e-file and pay
When preparing to e-file your tax return or make a payment, you will need some or all of the following:
E-file a return
Make a payment
You can choose from several different payment options:
You will need the following:
If you have to file and/or pay on paper, visit the Current tax filing season overview page.
Contact for E-file and Pay Your MA Personal Income Taxes
9 a.m.–4 p.m., Monday through Friday