E-filing and paying online is fast, safe, accurate, and provides electronic confirmation.
90% of taxpayers e-file their Massachusetts personal income tax return and receive their refund faster than if filed by paper.
Listed on this page are options you may have to e-file your personal income tax return — including:
- Vendors affiliated with the Free File Alliance Program
- Vendor approved self-prepared software.
Please note: DOR does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software vendor.
Free e-file options (see if you qualify)
The following vendors have provided qualifying Massachusetts taxpayers with an offer to e-file for free through the Free File Alliance program.
It’s important that you use the link directly below each offer to connect you to the free software option.
Free federal and MA tax preparation & e-file for all who live in MA with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $32,000 or less. This offer is limited to three (3) free tax returns per computer.
Visit the 1040NOW Free File Alliance offer.
IRS Free File program delivered by FreeTaxUSA
Visit the FreeTaxUSA Free File Alliance offer.
IRS Free File Program delivered by TaxAct
OLT Online Taxes
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if your Federal Adjusted Gross Income is between $16,000 and $73,000 regardless of age.
Activity Duty Military with adjusted gross income of $73,000 or less will also qualify.
At least one of the following must apply to you in order to qualify:
E-file and pay with MassTaxConnect
Fillable forms are no longer available. If you used fillable forms in the past, you may use MassTaxConnect to file for free.
Do you need help filing your return in MassTaxConnect?
You can use this free option if you have:
- Been a Massachusetts resident for the entire tax year and
- Filed a Massachusetts return in the past completing schedules seen in the guidelines.
If you can’t e-file with MassTaxConnect, you may still be able to use:
- You are required to file a Massachusetts Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Form 1-NR/PY), or
- You have to complete a schedule not listed in the guidelines.
If you can’t make your personal income tax payment in full, pay as much as you can with your tax return.
Tax payments can be made on MasstaxConnect with:
- Your credit card (for a fee) or
- ACH debit from checking or savings account.
If you are not registered for MassTaxConnect but need to make a payment:
- Go to MassTaxConnect
- Under "Quick Links" select “Make a Payment”
- Select “Individual Payment Type” and select "Next"
- Enter your SSN or ITIN and phone number (in case we need to contact you about this payment)
- Choose the type of tax payment you want to make and select "Next".
- Choose the amount you want to pay and your payment method and select "Next".
- Review your payment and select "Submit".
Estimated tax payments
Individuals and businesses can make estimated tax payments electronically through MassTaxConnect.
For more information visit DOR Estimated Tax Payments.
Approved self-prepared e-filing options (tax year 2021)
The following vendors were approved by DOR for individually prepared tax returns.
Please note: Some of these vendors offer free services (if you qualify) not affiliated with the Free File Alliance Program.
If you do not see a vendor listed, kindly contact them directly.
What you need to e-file and pay
When preparing to e-file your tax return or make a payment, you will need some or all of the following:
E-file a return
Make a payment
You can choose from several different payment options:
You will need the following:
If you have to file and/or pay on paper, visit the Current tax filing season overview page.
Tax Department: Contact Center hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- (617) 887-6367 or
- (800) 392-6089 (toll-free in Massachusetts)
You may also connect with DOR with MassTaxConnect, by email or in person.
For more ways to communicate, visit Contact DOR.