More about:

Amend your vehicle title

If information is incorrect on your title, or you need change information, you will need to notify the RMV and request an amended certificate of title.
You will receive your amended certificate of title in the mail within 10 – 14 business days. If there is a lienholder on your title the new title will be mailed directly to the lienholder.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details of Amend your vehicle title

What you need for Amend your vehicle title

To change information on your vehicle title, you need:

  • Certificate of title (original only, no copies)
  • A completed title amendment form. Please check the appropriate boxes and fill in all the required information. All owner(s) must sign the application.
  • Any other documentation relevant to the correction
  • Title amendment fee

To add or change lienholder information you need the above, as well as:

  • The original certificate of title with the previous lien released (stamped and signed by previous lienholder) or a lienholder release letter (must be on lienholder’s letterhead - no copies).

To correct the odometer reading listed on your certificate of title, you need the above, as well as:

If the vehicle has an active registration, the registration may also need to be corrected. You should contact your insurance company and have an insurance agent complete and stamp an application for registration amendment (RMV-3 form).



Fees for Amend your vehicle title

Name Fee Unit
Title Amendment Fee $25 each

How to amend Amend your vehicle title

To amend your vehicle title by mail, send the completed application, all required documentation, and fees to the RMV at:

Registry of Motor Vehicles

Title Division

P.O. Box 55885

Boston, MA 02205-5885

You must bring the completed application, all applicable documentation, and fees to the RMV Service Center.

You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.



More info about Amend your vehicle title

If ownership is changing or if an owner is added or deleted from a title, this is not considered a correction. It is a transfer of ownership and a new original title must be applied for.

Downloads for Amend your vehicle title

Contact for Amend your vehicle title


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think