More about:

Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

Vehicle owners may request a replacement of their vehicle's certificate of title if it has been lost, stolen, or mutilated.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details of Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

What you need for Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

To request a replacement certificate of title, you will need your:

  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)


  • Certificate of title number

This information can be found on your registration.


You will also need your:

  • Massachusetts driver's license number (for individuals)


  • Federal Identification (FID) number if the vehicle owner is a business


Fees for Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

Name Fee Unit
Replacement Certificate of Title $25 each

How to replace Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

To request a replacement title online, you will need to provide your:

  • First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Driver's license, learner's permit, or Massachusetts ID number
  • Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number

Companies must provide their FID number.


To request a replacement vehicle title in person, bring a completed application for duplicate certificate of title and applicable fee to:

You can pay with cash, check, or money order. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.



To request a replacement title by mail, you must send your completed application  with a check or money order payable to MassDOT to:

Registry of Motor Vehicles

Title Division
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, Massachusetts 02205-5885

More info about Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

It may take up to 10 business days for you to receive your replacement title in the mail.

If you obtained a loan for your vehicle and that loan has been paid off, check with your lienholder (e.g., bank) first to see if they have your title. If they do not, obtain a signed letter from the lienholder on their letterhead indicating that the loan has been paid off. The letter must also specify the year, make, vehicle identification number (VIN), and all titled owners. No faxes or photocopies of lien releases are acceptable. The lien release must be submitted with your application for a replacement title, regardless of the age of the loan.

Note: A lienholder's signature on an application for a replacement vehicle title does not constitute a lien release.

If the person to whom the title was issued has died, a copy of the letter of administration, court order, or affidavit of surviving spouse and a death certificate must accompany the application.

If you find the original title after the replacement is issued, you must surrender the original to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

If the title is mutilated or illegible, you must submit it with the application for a replacement.

Downloads for Replace your vehicle's certificate of title

Contact for Replace your vehicle's certificate of title


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think