Log in links for this page
- This page, File a petition for a net metering exception, is offered by
- Electric Power Division
File a petition for a net metering exception
DPU distributed generation team
The Details of File a petition for a net metering exception
What you need for File a petition for a net metering exception
Fees for File a petition for a net metering exception
|Net metering petition fee
How to file File a petition for a net metering exception
To file your petition, you must:
- submit a hard copy of your petition
- submit a complete net metering checklist form
- submit an electronic copy of your petition
- mail $100 check or money order, payable to the Department of Public Utilities.
Submit the hard copy of your petition to:
Mark D. Marini, Secretary,
Department of Public Utilities,
One South Station,
Boston, Massachusetts 02110
Submit the electronic copy to email@example.com or on a CD with the hard copy.
The email's text or the CD's label must include:
- the name of the person or company submitting the filing
- the document's brief title
- the name, title, and telephone number of a person to contact in case we have questions
Next steps for File a petition for a net metering exception
Once the DPU receives your petition, we will assign it a docket number and a hearing officer. If you have questions, contact the hearing officer directly.
As part of the petition process you will likely need to:
- Circulate an order of notice and notice of filing to a distribution list that the DPU will provide you.
- Respond to one or more set of questions from the DPU.
You may need to appear at the DPU for a hearing.
If any information in your petition or responses changes, you must provide updated information.
More info for File a petition for a net metering exception
A petition and all supporting documentation filed with the DPU is considered public information that will be posted on the DPU’s website. We recommend that you withhold or redact the following:
- personal contact information (phone number, mail and e-mail addresses)
- checking account number
- electric account number
- any information that you do not want to be publicly available
- If you have questions about redacting information or whether you should include certain information in a petition, contact the legal division at: 617-305-3690.
- If you leave out important information in your petition, the DPU will issue a Notice of Deficient Petition. We will not review your petition until you submit a supplemental filing with the information we need.
- You must file a petition with the DPU for an exception to the net metering rules and regulations if:
- You want to have more than one net metering facility on a single parcel of land
- You want to construct a net metering facility across the boundaries of two or more parcels of land
- You want to establish a net metering facility on a parcel of land that was subdivided after January 1, 2010.
- You should not file a petition with the DPU for an exception if:
- You are seeking to have more than one meter or interconnection point for a net metering facility. Your electric company may grant an exception for more than one meter and more than one interconnection point per net metering facility if the exception is for optimal interconnection reasons, or
- You legally merged two or more parcels of land with the relevant registry of deeds.
Contact for File a petition for a net metering exception